Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 2024 Hunting Farms

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post
    Anyways, I guess if the demand takes a plunge during hunting season the farmers will end-up with animals on their farm that they cannot sustain during the off-season. This will then either lead to a drop in prices, for next season and you will also find animals in the field that is not in good condition because of overpopulation.
    On one farm I know of the farmer has paid for the culling of excess stock a number of times over the years rather than offering the game for hunting such is his aversion to pissed up bakkie 'hunters'.

Our normal farm has jumped 40% in prices and we have had to trim our 3 days to 2 days as chaps cannot spend the same.

User

Yup stories we've heard on farms about people arriving already pissed and then it gets progressively worse. Thankfully we had a steady place to go to near Molteno for the last few years. Sadly the farmer passed away in December, so now the search starts again. Second regular place near Kroonstad was also a regular day trip from Jo'burg. Farmer always called when he had extra animals that need taking "Ek bęl julle want julle jaag nie kak aan en drink julle self moertoe nie".. He has since sold the farm though. Now we start over..
    Last edited by pblaauw; 15-02-2024 at 14:18. Reason: spelling

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Combination of inflation and supply & demand.

Inflation in the cost of game is being driven by the premium paid by overseas hunters versus us locals. Plus live game (game capture) prices have been very strong of late. Meaning that animals have a higher value than biltong hunting - and for the 'put and take' places, the cost of replacement animals has risen.
    Naturally there is also the everyday inflation of higher diesel prices, higher labour costs etc. too

On the supply/demand front, if game farms are struggling to find takers for their animals and services, their prices will go down. Presumably the opposite is happening as evidenced by the widespread rise in prices.
    I have heard the same from a game farm I hunted on in Jan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2