Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 2024 Hunting Farms

Hi all,

Want to see if anyone knows of farms to go hunt at this year (Want to try a new place for one of the hunts).

Does not need to be fancy.
    250 - 300km from PTA.
    Rifle Hunt
    3 - 5 Hunters
    May, June and July Months

Default Re: 2024 Hunting Farms

You should join SA Hunt or Cape Hunt. But think SA Hunt better for Gauteng people.

They keep a list you can ask for of Hunting farms.

You could try ask as a non member. But for members they do give.

User

Thanks, I did see on their website. But unfortunately its members only

User

Getting a good place to hunt is even more difficult then finding a cheap STI with less then 10k rounds on it............

User

Hi All,

Can anyone shed some light on the elephant in the room A.K.A "2024 Hunting Prices". I have gathered about +/- 20 pricelists of farms in NW, L & FS. Some of them I have visited before, and prices shot through the roof, anywhere from 20%-40% more than last year. WTF did I miss from June/July 2023 till now.

We are usually a decent crowd of 5-7 hunters on a trip, highly ethical, and we look after our accommodation like that of our own houses. We respect the rules of the farm to the T, and we have left every farm as friends with the Farmer/Farm Manager and their Farm workers. What is happening....

If I understand what is happening, then it will be easier for me to spend my hard earned savings.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post
    Hi All,

Can anyone shed some light on the elephant in the room A.K.A "2024 Hunting Prices". I have gathered about +/- 20 pricelists of farms in NW, L & FS. Some of them I have visited before, and prices shot through the roof, anywhere from 20%-40% more than last year. WTF did I miss from June/July 2023 till now.

We are usually a decent crowd of 5-7 hunters on a trip, highly ethical, and we look after our accommodation like that of our own houses. We respect the rules of the farm to the T, and we have left every farm as friends with the Farmer/Farm Manager and their Farm workers. What is happening....

If I understand what is happening, then it will be easier for me to spend my hard earned savings.
    What I found is that it comes down to supply and demand. The demand is higher that ever so they can ask higher prices.
    Found a farm that is still very well priced and the down side is its a 6 hour drive, so will rather drive far than pay these over the top prices.

User

Combination of inflation and supply & demand.

Inflation in the cost of game is being driven by the premium paid by overseas hunters versus us locals. Plus live game (game capture) prices have been very strong of late. Meaning that animals have a higher value than biltong hunting - and for the 'put and take' places, the cost of replacement animals has risen.
    Naturally there is also the everyday inflation of higher diesel prices, higher labour costs etc. too

On the supply/demand front, if game farms are struggling to find takers for their animals and services, their prices will go down. Presumably the opposite is happening as evidenced by the widespread rise in prices.

I do think that hunting operations where there is a trust relationship in place between longstanding hunters and game-farmers who are satisfied with those hunters, prices remain reasonable. But for places catering to the unknown public and experience their fair share of the brandy brigade, they have boosted their prices in compensation for the unpleasantness caused by those few hunters. My 2c

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    I do think that hunting operations where there is a trust relationship in place between longstanding hunters and game-farmers who are satisfied with those hunters, prices remain reasonable. But for places catering to the unknown public and experience their fair share of the brandy brigade, they have boosted their prices in compensation for the unpleasantness caused by those few hunters. My 2c
    Have heard this exactly and more than once from land owners. The risk of having a group of inconsiderate dikfinger drunken morons buggering around on your property must be compensated for. The people I go on wingshoots with have a simple rule. You can invite someone new to come along but if his behavour is such that it jeapordises the relationship with the landowners neither he nor you will come along again.

User

From a farm owner I chatted to last year, he said the price of game he bought went up 30% .Eland trophies were sold at R30k each, he didn’t buy any. He didn’t know why the prices had gone up so high.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Have heard this exactly and more than once from land owners. The risk of having a group of inconsiderate dikfinger drunken morons buggering around on your property must be compensated for. The people I go on wingshoots with have a simple rule. You can invite someone new to come along but if his behavour is such that it jeapordises the relationship with the landowners neither he nor you will come along again.

I can fully understand the reasoning, and still cannot understand why some will use this as a piss-up.... I will enjoy a beer & brandy at the end of each day with the braai and then we usually spend the rest of the night around the campfire enjoying nature. Nothing stupid, the next morning you wake-up at 4, get dressed, get your 2x coffees in and prep for the day that starts at around 6am. What is the use to spend 8-10hrs in the bush, trying to hunt and you have 'n moerse babbelas....

Anyways, I guess if the demand takes a plunge during hunting season the farmers will end-up with animals on their farm that they cannot sustain during the off-season. This will then either lead to a drop in prices, for next season and you will also find animals in the field that is not in good condition because of overpopulation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast