Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Snub nose revolvers are humbling

Quote Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
    Would love to practice more than I am, but the price of 38 special rounds make me sad.
    I looked at .38 spl and 357 ammo.

I'm planning to buy a box of factory ammo and then reload from there. There are many places locally doing powder coated cast and for practice, they are plenty perfect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by NAZM357 View Post
    Ammo was Zero mike 158gr SWC coated bullets.The more ragged holes were 125gr Zero mike 9mm bullets (don't tell the reloading police that I loaded 9mm bullets in .38 special. 
    Are you using .357 or .358 bullets?
    I see with cast bullets, there is normally 2 or 3 sizes you can buy for a nominal size.

User

Ammo was Zero mike 158gr SWC coated bullets.The more ragged holes were 125gr Zero mike 9mm bullets (don't tell the reloading police that I loaded 9mm bullets in .38 special. 😀
    Was the centre grouping done with 9mm bullets?
    I will be quite surprised if it is, will try it sometime.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    I looked at .38 spl and 357 ammo.

I'm planning to buy a box of factory ammo and then reload from there. There are many places locally doing powder coated cast and for practice, they are plenty perfect.
    I don't have a ton to spare and I have do dig them out... 😅 Where are you based? I can pass on a bit of brass.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Are you using .357 or .358 bullets?I see with cast bullets, there is normally 2 or 3 sizes you can buy for a nominal size.
    The .38 bullets are sized .357

User

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    Was the centre grouping done with 9mm bullets? I will be quite surprised if it is, will try it sometime.
    Yes, however I found the 9mm bullets to be very inconsistent which is to be expected. I loaded them more as an experiment.

User

Ammo was Zero mike 158gr SWC coated bullets.The more ragged holes were 125gr Zero mike 9mm bullets (don't tell the reloading police that I loaded 9mm bullets in .38 special. 😀
    You should have heard Treeman when I told him I put 32acp bullets through a 303 :)

What load did you use behind the 125gr bullets, and speed? Perhaps if you slow them down a bit they will perform better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    You should have heard Treeman when I told him I put 32acp bullets through a 303 :)What load did you use behind the 125gr bullets, and speed? Perhaps if you slow them down a bit they will perform better.
    4.5gr of CFE pistol, Hodgon suggests a starting load of 5.2gr so I'm well under. I'm not too keen on pursuing it,just wanted an idea of what it would do. It will work in a pinch.

User

It's a shame that importers like Delta Distribution don't bring in some of the newer snubby models that are now available, (as well as other revolvers). Unfortunately this just doesn't happen, as there is no big demand for them here.

However there are lots of old 2nd hand Rossi & Taurus models floating around in .357 Mag & .38Spl which you can pick up for next to nothing if you know where to look. If your really lucky, you can even find some that have hardly ever been used.

I have a 30+ year old 2,5" Taurus Model 85 in my collection.
    Love it. It's accurate, simple to operate & it just keeps on going.

Fitted with Houge Grips & carried in a Cytac IWB holster, these old snub nose revolvers are way better than nothing for new shooters who want to arm themselves, but have a very tight budget.

I still carry mine sometimes under certain conditions.

Otherwise, just grab one anyway and "enjoy" them every now & again or keep as a backup for your primary defensive firearm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    It's a shame that importers like Delta Distribution don't bring in some of the newer snubby models that are now available, (as well as other revolvers). Unfortunately this just doesn't happen, as there is no big demand for them here.However there are lots of old 2nd hand Rossi & Taurus models floating around in .357 Mag & .38Spl which you can pick up for next to nothing if you know where to look. If your really lucky, you can even find some that have hardly ever been used. I have a 30+ year old 2,5" Taurus Model 85 in my collection.Love it. It's accurate, simple to operate & it just keeps on going.Fitted with Houge Grips & carried in a Cytac IWB holster, these old snub nose revolvers are way better than nothing for new shooters who want to arm themselves, but have a very tight budget.I still carry mine sometimes under certain conditions.Otherwise, just grab one anyway and "enjoy" them every now & again or keep as a backup for your primary defensive firearm.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I even tried persuading my dealer to get Delta to bring in more revolver models with no luck. I would gladly trade all my semi autos except my glock 19 for revolvers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast