Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hunting Ammunition

Hi

I am Bitong hunter who hunts mostly in the bushveld. I need advice with regard to factory loaded premium ammunition, since I do not reload. I realise that shot placement is most imperative. I prefer to use premium ammunition as "added insurance", considering the cost of game and in the pursuit of quick efficient kills.

I use the 30.06 to usually hunt game from Impala up to Eland, and occasionally springbuck in the Bushveld. I have used Remington Safari Grade and PMP African Elite, both loaded with Swift A Frames in 180gr for many years. I am absolutely pleased with the above in terms of accuracy, efficient killing power and minimal meat damage. Neither of the above are available to purchase currently and I require advise as to a suitable replacement.

6.5 x55 Swede

We have used the above for some time with Norma Oryx 156 grain, successfully to hunt game from Impala to kudu, with the occasional gemsbuck and springbok in the bushveld. This round has served us well and we have never lost any game ever. I nevertheless find the entry wound to be very small with a less than effective blood trail, however killing power has never failed. This ammunition is also scarce and am looking foe advice on available replacement. Would a 140 grain perform better than 156 grain. Meat damage is a consideration.

My son is in the process of acquiring a .308 for use on Impala to Kudu with the occasional eland in the bushveld. I am thinking that the 165Gr will be best suited. Meat damage, as usual is a consideration. I am looking for advice on available premium ammunition.

All assistance will be highly appreciated.

User

Default Re: Hunting Ammunition

Zimbi looks to be well stocked currently in those calibers. I presume that you are situated in Gauteng?

I almost exclusively reload. I am dissapointed in the amount of meat damage that 165gr unbonded cup and core has given me in .308.
    I think bonded is the way to go. I believe most will recommend 180gr for Eland.

Thanks will check Zimbi. If Eland was not on the menu, would to consider a bonded 165gr ideal?

User

You don't give your location - S&O tends to have the best selection/variety of ammo. You can use their website to suss out what they may have.
    In the Gauteng area there are a few gun shops to choose from. Beyond S&O and Zimbi, Camdix in Krugersdorp usually has some relatively affordable options.

308 and 30-06 should be well represented at most gun shops.
    The 6.5 Swede is a bit harder to find food for, especially in the premium category. I exclusively reload for mine - I've used the 156gr Oryx's a fair bit but my go-to load has been 140gr (Accubonds). I find the 140gr to be the right balance between high enough velocity to make it flat shooting and have sufficient knockdown power without execessive meat damage. But this is all pretty subjective and I'm referring to reloads in any case. I would think that factory amomo in 140gr is likely to be quite mild (in the 2500-2600ft/s range) which shouldn't be too damaging on shots from 100m and on, even with conventional cup&core bullets.

I'm in the North West, but I am frequently in Gauteng.

I had a look at what is available at S&O for the .308 and out of what they do have, I would recommend this if a big eland bull was on the menu. It will also work well on impala and kudu.

AMMO 308 WIN 150GR BARNES VOR-TX TTSX BT (20) (safarioutdoor.co.za)

If your rifle have a 1 in 10 or faster twist, this will also work well.

AMMO 308 WIN 165GR HORNADY CX OTF (20) (safarioutdoor.co.za)

User

Not to derail the thread but if you use premium factory ammo as the cost basis, your payback on a reloading setup is probably 250 rounds.
    Yes that includes a few assumptions around the cost of reloading kit, dies and of course components being available.
    But it should give a frame of reference - and the more calibres and rounds you reload, the quicker it all makes sense.

[The basic maths is the cost diff between the factory round (R80) and the reloaded round components (R30-35) means approx R50/round. 200 rounds reloaded = R10,000 in savings.
    A Lee kit can be had for R7k odd, plus R1,000 for dies. Secondhand browsing would be cheaper still]

Thanks for your valued info. Any recommendations for the 6.5x 55
    @ T.Stone

I agree that I need to consider reloading
    @Desperatezulu

Choices seem to be rather limited as far as factory ammo is concerned. There are two options available at S&O, the one below would be my choice of those two. But I really think that you should give serious consideration to reloading your own ammo.

AMMO 6.5X55 SWED 140GR TG NOSLER ACCUBOND (20) (safarioutdoor.co.za)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast