Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Choices seem to be rather limited as far as factory ammo is concerned. There are two options available at S&O, the one below would be my choice of those two. But I really think that you should give serious consideration to reloading your own ammo.

AMMO 6.5X55 SWED 140GR TG NOSLER ACCUBOND (20) (safarioutdoor.co.za)
    Totally agree. Thank you

Federal Fusion seems to be one of the most popular and affordable options in SA at the moment. Considering they are bonded bullets, I find them to be really well priced for their performance.

Not to sure about a constant supply in 6.5 x 55, but they seem relatively available in 308 and 30.06.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

User

Would a 180gr bullet make sense from a .308 rifle for larger game?

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Would a 180gr bullet make sense from a .308 rifle for larger game?
    It would depend on the bullet.

User

180gr bonded bullets like SBC, Accubond, Aframe, Core Lokt, etc.

The SBC and A-Frame are excellent bullets, their cores are bonded and both have additional mechanisms in place to prevent over expansion and weight loss. The SBC has a solid shank, the A-Frame an internal partition separating the two cores. The Accubond is bonded which does prevent weight loss but does nothing to prevent over expansion if bone is hit, Remington Core Lokt is not bonded, it might have an internal ridge in the jacket to prevent the core slipping.

So, four very different bullets. I would rate the SBC and the A-Frame as excellent bullets capable of breaking the thickest bone and still reaching the vitals. The Accubond is a good bullet which offers good weight retention, but I have seen a few fail when hitting thick bone on large antelope. The Core Lokt is, in my opinion just a conventional bullet. It will work well in the .308 for general hunting but I would definitely avoid hitting thick bone on an eland.

Apologies to the OP for the hijacking of his thread.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

in 6.5x55 I have taken 10-12 Hunting shots with 140 gr Federal Fusion from my Howa on Warthog of various sizes. Have only recovered 2 of them, the rest all exited. From this I assume they hold good enough for any larger game to be taken. From what I have seen on the piggies I will not hesitate to take on even Kudu bulle with my 6.5 Swede and 140 gr Fusions.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The SBC and A-Frame are excellent bullets, their cores are bonded and both have additional mechanisms in place to prevent over expansion and weight loss. The SBC has a solid shank, the A-Frame an internal partition separating the two cores. The Accubond is bonded which does prevent weight loss but does nothing to prevent over expansion if bone is hit, Remington Core Lokt is not bonded, it might have an internal ridge in the jacket to prevent the core slipping.

So, four very different bullets. I would rate the SBC and the A-Frame as excellent bullets capable of breaking the thickest bone and still reaching the vitals. The Accubond is a good bullet which offers good weight retention, but I have seen a few fail when hitting thick bone on large antelope. The Core Lokt is, in my opinion just a conventional bullet. It will work well in the .308 for general hunting but I would definitely avoid hitting thick bone on an eland.

Apologies to the OP for the hijacking of his thread.
    No apology required. All information serves to educate. I highly value your experience and advice. Thank you.

User

Anyone know where I can find .264 Fusion bullets?

Anyone ever used Speer Deep Curl bullets? I have a few hundred in 7mm that I’m yet to load. Supposedly they were the forerunner of the Fusion bullets loaded by Federal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast