User

Default Refusal on relicensing

Good day.

How do I proceed and what can I expect? I have a semi auto, the license expired and I reapplied. My application to renew was refused. I see according to Annexure B that, should my app be refused, I have 60 days to sell, deactivate, donate, surrender, dispose etc with no option to appeal it seems.

When does the 60 days start in your opinion? Annexure B says upon receiving a letter. Receiving letters sound pretty impossible these days. I can probably wait 120+ days for the letter.

I have not yet been informed by SAPS. I was informed by NARFO. Do I wait for a call from my DFO, a SMS or a letter?

I will probably sell it and invest in something els.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Refusal on relicensing

Speak to by our DFO the letter might be on the system and they can print it out. Chat to GOSA but if all else fails get it dealer stocked and reapply as a new application?
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 09-02-2024 at 08:23.

Go to your DFO - they can print your refusal letter.

Then appeal.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Thx

User

Good advice from SSP and CC.

Their refusal letter will contain the reason why they refused. Most likely something stupid. Get assistance from people who have dealt with CFR (GOSA, Martin Hood, etc etc) and appeal.
    My mate had the same issue with a pump action Shottie, and his appeal was approved.

What did you put on as reason for application?

Sport or Hunting?

And are you dedicated in either of above?

If you put on hunting they would have refused you for a semi as not allowed.

If your not dedicated sport you also would not have been approved.

Many years ago once got refused on silly reason that the letter from my shooting club was older then 3 months.

I did not appeal and just submitted re application as it goes quicker the appeal process.

I'm by no means an authority but I have a clear memory that SAPS was routinely refusing to renew expired licences. It happened to my nephew. But a court decision was that SAPS may not refuse. My nephew had the refusal reversed by quoting that. Dunno who brought the case but Martin Hood would be a good place to start. Don't accept it without further enquiry/research and whatever fight that my be necessary depending on what you find.

User

Lots of good advice given already but it will help if you clarify things a bit...................

You said that your licence had expired. In other words you applied after the validity dates that appear on your licence, not before or during the 90 day window prior to expiry?

If you apply to renew an expired licence ie with a SAPS518(a) it will be refused.

The only way to deal with an expired licence is to submit a new application with the SAPS271 form.

Which process did you use?