Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Bullet coating with HBN or Molly - where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I don't think your reasoning holds. Every military procurement spec for a small arm that I have ever seen specified an accuracy requirement and a durability metric in rounds expended. The arms manufacturers do what they are told wrt to large contracts for things like rifles and if there was a way to reduce the cost and downtime related to barrel wear I'm confident it would be specified and i can't find a reference to that happening anywhere. Barrel life absolutely is a consideration as is the cost of maintaining it. The new yank SIG XM7 has a training round which is loaded to significantly lower pressure than the one intended for operational use. I'm pretty confidentthat the cost of developing, procuring and maintaining the supply chain and logistics for two different loads for what's intended to be the rifle for all grunts going forward significantly outstrips that of moly coating the bullets.
    Out of interest, I read that an M16 barrel lasts about 25,000 rounds, and AK47 20,000 a sniper rifle 1000, and an aircraft cannon 300.

If bullet coating costs only 50c and a barrel 10k, then in a rifle that can handle 25,000 rounds, it is cheaper to barrel. Essentially, bullet coating will not be economically viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Out of interest, I read that an M16 barrel lasts about 25,000 rounds, and AK47 20,000
    Last Type-56 at Tactical HQ took an estimated 75,000 rounds before starting to keyhole at distance

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Last Type-56 at Tactical HQ took an estimated 75,000 rounds before starting to keyhole at distance
    That's over a million Rands worth of ammo

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    That's over a million Rands worth of ammo
    Assuming that was one of the range rental guns the people who shot that out paid a fair bit more than retail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2