A friend, who is an acting magistrate, told me of a recent troubling development in the Vanderbijlpark Magistrate's Court that made me fear for my safety, and the safety of those who visit our courts.

A prominent attorney in the Vaal arrived at court drunk, with a bogus Ex Parte Application. He started abusing the court clerks (and even making sexually abusive comments towards one female clerk) and demanded to see the magistrate immediately. The magistrate told him he would not entertain his application, both due to it being without merits and due to him not being properly dressed (he was wearing shorts and crocs under his attorney's robe). This set him off, causing him to swear at the magistrate, calling him racial slurs and challenging him to a fight outside, and security had to be called to remove him. He escaped them and pulled out a knife, announcing his decision to "get" said magistrate. Thankfully security was able to restrain him and prevent anyone from getting hurt.

To those of you who frequent the courts regularly, for work reasons (like myself) or other concerns, please be safe, be aware of your surroundings, and don't assume you are not in danger simply because it's a court of law; because criminals and crazies don't respect the temples of our legal system (even if said criminal/crazy is an attorney).