Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Post Advice on deciding between my next hunting rifle

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I recently decided to purchase a new hunting rifle (having sold my 300WM Steyr at the end of last year as the calibre isn't as new shooter/ hunter friendly as I thought it was, should have read the stickied thread first. I am still very sad that I sold this rifle, but the extra money helped for a different project). I have narrowed down my search to 2 specific rifles but am stuck between which one to get.

Option 1: CZ 550 7x57

This rifle is second-hand, and seems to have seen some very minor use (the owner says 50ish shots, but I will be doing a full check when I go to take a look). The rifle is listed for about R 15,000. Unfortunately, all I will be getting is the rifle itself, which will still need to be cut for a silencer. I also wanted to ask about future ammunition availability for in terms of 7x57 (I really wanted a 300WSM but because of the lack of ammunition availability meant I abandoned that idea quickly). Finally, I also like this calibre due to family history.

Option 2: CZ 600 308Win

I would buy this rifle new from a nearby gun-shop for around R 25,000 (Alpha)/ R 30,000 (Lux) (I am more partial to wooden stocks, the rest of my firearms are metal and polymer so a bit of variety would be nice) . I saw that it is already cut for a silencer so that wont be an added cost. I also know that 308 ammunition, whilst a bit more expensive generally speaking, should be available far into the future from what I understand.

Considerations: I do not have a scope, sling, silencer or bag for the rifle so this will also have to be bought. Not really sure what Scope to get or even to consider to be perfectly honest so input here would also be great. Finally, it is probably true that this will not be my last hunting rifle, but will likely be my rifle for at least the next 5/6 hunting seasons. So far I have only hunted in the bush, but will likely be doing a few Karoo hunts over the next few years.

Thank you for all the help!

Default Re: Advice on deciding between my next hunting rifle

I have rifles in both those calibers.
    I feel for most hunting, the 7mm is superior. On paper it is less powerful but I have yet to see the difference in effect on game and it has less recoil.

But .308 cases (and ammo) are easier to find. Whether that is a real issue depends on how you operate and how much you shoot.

As for scope (and all the other accessories), this depends very much on how and where and to some extent what you hunt, which you haven't given us any information on. For busveld hunting, I prefer relatively low-powerex and simple scopes. 2-7x with a fixed objective and a simple Duplex reticle in the second focal plane. For longer range bunting, you can justify something bigger and more complex, but neither of these calibers are ideal for that purpose (not saying they won't work, just saying not ideal). For walk and stalk busveld use, keep the rifle light, short and handy, and the scope mounted low if you can.

User

Look, as much as I love the 308 (I've got 2) the choice here is clear. Buy the CZ550. The action is my driver here, not the caliber. In a factory rifle, the CZ550 action is probably the best evolution of the classic Mauser 98. In this case you'll be buying a rifle that is fast becoming a classic, in a caliber that's been a classic for a long time.

Caliber-wise, the 7x57 can do everything with 140gr-174gr bullets that the 308 does with 150gr-180gr bullets. SAAMI max pressures are lower than 308W so factory ammo will be slower than the equivalent bullet weight in 308. However, if you are a careful reloader, and with a modern action like the CZ550, loading to modern pressures can extract a lot of latent potential from the 7x57.

For 10K difference you can buy dies, and a bunch of brass and bullets, and even have the poor thing threaded if you believe it's really necessary

User

That's what I'm thinking too. I am not a fan of cutting rifles up to fit a silencer on it, but unfortunately farms these days seem to be shifting to bow or silencer only hunting.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedSandwich View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too. I am not a fan of cutting rifles up to fit a silencer on it, but unfortunately farms these days seem to be shifting to bow or silencer only hunting.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    My CZ550's front sight is screw-mounted to the barrel. It should be an easy job for a good gunsmith to move it back just a tad, so that you can fit the thread and thenthread protector, without removing the front sight completely.

I have been lucky to not have run across a farm where a silencer is mandated, but I have heard of the phenomenon...

One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

The 7x57 in a modern platform really lends itself to being hand loaded. It means you are not limited by factory ammo that has to cater for 130 year old rifles. Loaded to modern pressure standards it easily outperforms the 7mm-08 if you are that way inclined.

I really enjoy shooting and hunting with my CZ 550 in 7x57 (I own 4 rifles with CZ 550 actions). Loaded with 156gr Norma Oryx to 2650FPS I have hunted impala, waterbuck and BWB. This year I would like to try the 160gr Safari.

As for silencers, no thank you. It just ruins a rifle's looks for me and I have yet to be unable to book a hunt. A mate of mine actually bought a threaded Howa to do hunting on farms where you are forced to use one because he couldn't get himself to thread his factory Mauser.

308 VS 7x57? Both get the job done, 308 factory ammo will have more availability and the rifle should have a shorter action (if that matters, which it seems it does a lot in the US as it makes the rifle lighter) but in this case there is a substantial price difference and the allure of arguably one of the best evolutions of the Mauser 98 pattern action.

User

Between the 2, not much in it. The range pf 308 ammo is wider than the 7x57 locally, so more options if you're buying off the shelf. 7x57 ammo is relatively available but the selection is minimal and can be very sporadic - I'm in Durban. The 7x57 is a lovely calibre and I have a Musgrave K98 rifle which is really a treat. It covered all of my needs which is bushveld.

I am not the familiar with CZ600 and I really like the CZ550 action.

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    This year I would like to try the 160gr Safari.
    This is what I will be loading and testing in next couple of weeks. 160gr seems to be able to replicate the 180gr in 30-06.

User

Always an emotive choice!

Some useful factors in helping shape the advice/opinions!
    1. Are you a reloader? It appears not, in which case the 308 is hard to beat in terms of ammo availability and options (and cost vs 7x57)
    2. Is this a hunting only rifle? I.e. not high volume target usage as well? If yes, then your annual round count is likely to be lower (meaning the pain of more expensive premium ammo is minimised and you can standardise on a single load potentially). 308 will be cheaper to run and more target ammo choices - so if this is a factor, then the 308 rises ahead.
    3. What sort of hunting (terrain and target species, if you have a more like combination)? You mentioned Karoo - neither of your calibre options is ideal for most Karoo scenarios. A rangefinder will be close to essential because they're on the slower side with factory ammo. Of course in bushveld conditions, they'd both be strong contenders for medium sized game and below. Overall as general purpose calibres go, these two are well-positioned in the pack.

If we're sticking to 308 vs 7x57 only, then they're much of a muchness in terms of application - similar bullet weights and speeds. I think it's down to personal preference to choose because there is little factual difference in performance.
    In this calibre class, I'd strongly consider a 30-06 if you're using factory ammo - excellent availability and just a bit more punch (velocity) with the same bullet weights versus the other two.

@ the OP.

Reading between the lines I am assuming that the recoil on the 300 was not too pleasant? As a 30-06 owner as well, I would also strongly recommend this caliber, but for the fact that it known, as you go up in caliber that the 30-06 is probably the first caliber that will expose any recoil intolerance. So if you are a little recoil intolerant then you would want to shoot one if it comes into the decision matrix.

On the CZ550's, and I have 2. I intensely dislike the dropped comb on the Mannlicher style stock as I need to add cheek risers to the stock in order to get a decent cheek weld. If the ones you are looking at have a straight stock, you are better off.

Desperatezulu makes excellent point regarding reloading vs. ammo choice. This would influence any decision I may make about caliber choice.

I am unsure of your primary hunting terrain, but dragging a rifle with silencer through heavy bush is not my cup of tea. I have a .375 that came with silencer, the silencer does not get used. I hear people speak of farms requiring silencers but have never encountered such a farm. You can always add this later if an issue. If you are trying to mitigate recoil through a silencer then that is another matter, perhaps a 6.5x55mm Swede would be more appropriate from a recoil perspective.

You have not stated the size animal you intend on hunting but if you are a biltong hunter you would be hard pressed to find fault with a .308 for many reasons. The 7mm is a firm favourite as well. Tough choice that will probably come down to which one you want.

I would buy the .308.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Why do you want a Mauser Action? I think that on the calibers of which we speak that there are no benefits to a Mauser action. They are a harder to work due to the additional components in the bolt. I was also fascinated by the Mauser thing hence my two CZ's. If I could wind the clock back, I would buy normal actions but would not discount a Mauser action if a real bargain presented.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast