User

Default WWII era Remington 1911 information

Again turning to the gun fundis on here. My son bought the pistol mentioned in the title at a private show in the US and I was wondering if someone can refer me to books or websites worth reading to get more info regarding the serial no etc.

Google only tells me the pistol was made by Remington during WWII and they apparently made over a million of them for the war effort. I thought it was only Colt's made and used in WWII but apparently not.

On the pistol slide is the wording "United States Property M1911 A1 US ARMY" and there is a serial no and some other strange markings on the receiver that may be a unit serial no etc.

User

Default Re: WWII era Remington 1911 information

Not an area of knowledge for me but what I do know is that there were multiple manufacturers and subcontractors to those. There are 'bitsa' guns made up as arsenal refurbs that have parts from numerous manufacturers so I'd imagine that an all matching, one manufacturer piece is probably not the most common thing to find.

Some manufacturers will give you a certificate or letter on a given serial number with all the relevant manufacturing info. For a fee of course.
    Not sure about Remington.

User

Here : If I remember right the A1 model was a upgraded from the original WW1 1911 in 1928. They made several changes, trigger, safety etc. Remington started making a current day model a few years back. The 1911 R1. It is exactly like the A1.

https://sightm1911.com/lib/history/remingtons.htm

https://coolgunsite.com/images/rem%2...mrandstory.htm

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

During WW2 many companies were making many guns for the war effort. 1911s were made by Remington Rand... not Remington. Remington Rand is/was a typewriter manufacturer. They made some very nice guns. Singer (the sewing machine company) made some of the nicest 1911s.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    During WW2 many companies were making many guns for the war effort. 1911s were made by Remington Rand... not Remington. Remington Rand is/was a typewriter manufacturer. They made some very nice guns. Singer (the sewing machine company) made some of the nicest 1911s.
    Singers are also the rarest, and lowest production volume of the WW2 1911 makers.

Also as Paul points out and something almost everyone has mistaken is Remington Rand is very different to Remington.

User

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This pistol has Remington Rand Inc on the slide.

Will pass this info on to my son, cheers guys.

User

In 1986 I went into a gun shop in the JHB CBD - Garbs Field and Stream I think it was called. I wanted a second 1911 to go with my Colt Series 70 - they brought out a crate, must have been 50+ 1911's all jumbled up inside the create - I was told to choose one. I searched all the 1911's in the create, looked at all the bottom of the slides at the half moon cut out - I think its the disconnector notch - and picked one with zero wear. I got myself a pristine 1911 Rand Remington made in 1945 - For the handsome sum of R495.00 with two magazines. Flawless firearm, gave it to my son as his first F/A.

You may find the production date here - https://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/...production.htm

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Singers are also the rarest, and lowest production volume of the WW2 1911 makers.

Also as Paul points out and something almost everyone has mistaken is Remington Rand is very different to Remington.
    I retract... seems there is a rarer 1911 than a Singer.

North American Arms 1911 (no relation to the more modern NAA)