Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zastava .375 H&H.

I picked up my Zastava .375 H&H a couple of weeks ago, but as I was hunting with clients, I only got to scoping it and working up loads yesterday. So, technically it is not a big bore but as there is no Medium Bore thread, this will have to do.

Trigger is fully adjustable which is a good thing as it came with a horrid trigger pull from the factory. The action is a little rough but if you work it like you should work a hunting rifle's action, hard and fast, you will not notice it. With time it will get a little smoother.

Feeding, firing, extraction and ejection is flawless.
    Beautiful it is not and at the end of this season it will be even less so. Which is fine, it is a tool, not an ornament.

Will it shoot? I have only developed one load so far, a 270gr Peregrine VLR4 at ±2600fps. This is a versatile load, it will deal with a springbok, wounded or otherwise at 300m, kill any antelope cleanly at any reasonable range and work on buffalo in a pinch. Next, I will work up a buffalo specific load, using a 300gr SBC bullet.

Scope is a Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5-5x20 with an illuminated reticle.

Three shot group at 100m, 19mm center to center.

Two shots at 200m to check trajectory.

Default Re: Zastava .375 H&H.

They're very reasonably priced rifles for a 375H&H! How is the reloading into the magazine particularly if under duress?

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    They're very reasonably priced rifles for a 375H&H! How is the reloading into the magazine particularly if under duress?
    The magazine is fairly short but my other .375 H&H, a Parker Hale, is built on the same length action, so I'm used to it. You need to keep COL manageable but fast reloading is not a problem.
    My buffalo rifle is a Winchester mod 70 in .416 rem mag, which does have a longer action and wear a red dot sight. For fast reloading, I find a scope more of a hindrance than magazine length.

This rifle is intended for backing clients on antelope hunts and as a loaner for clients hunting buffalo.

User

Congrats, looks like a real shooter. I was wondering what the Parker-Huil thought about the new interloper...

Was that load put together specifically for the Zastava or is it one that you already had for the P-H?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Congrats, looks like a real shooter. I was wondering what the Parker-Huil thought about the new interloper...

Was that load put together specifically for the Zastava or is it one that you already had for the P-H?
    No, specifically for the Zastava.

Either the Zastava have a very tight chamber or the Parker Huil have a very loose chamber. Cases shot in the PH does not chamber in the Zastava. There is also a significant difference in the loads they like. So, I have two .375 H&H rifles that need to be treated as if they are chambered for different calibers.
    Last edited by TStone; 26-04-2024 at 18:37.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

IMG_9338.jpg
    My go to hunting rifle is my Zastava 375. They are rough but reliable and accurate. I did though have a custom stock made for mine and it made the world of difference from the factory pigs back stock. I also changed the safety to a Thor copy of the Winchester style version, on the cocking piece
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 27-04-2024 at 06:41.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

T stone if you find yourself being bored, its amazing what some sandpaper and tru oil will do to that zastava stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    IMG_9338.jpg
    My go to hunting rifle is my Zastava 375. They are rough but reliable and accurate. I did though have a custom stock made for mine and it made the world of difference from the factory pigs back stock. I also changed the safety to a Thor copy of the Winchester style version, on the cocking piece
    Nice looking stock, who made it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    T stone if you find yourself being bored, its amazing what some sandpaper and tru oil will do to that zastava stock
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is truly amazing, I will keep it in mind.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Nice looking stock, who made it?
    It was done by Ken and Chad Gillie from Arms CC
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast