User

Default Petition: "Prevent the collapse of Skills Development: extend SETA legacy quals and unit stds"

As the firearms community, we may as well jump on this and try leverage the sentiment - PFTC does not appear to have a plan to deal with the expiry of the firearms unit standards - apparently the way is "carry on as usual and if anything comes of it, we'll take em to court"

"We hereby appeal to the Minister Dr Blade Nzimande, to extend the SETA Legacy (historical) qualifications and unit standards for 3 years, and to monitor the SETAs in aligning them to occupational qualifications and skills programmes with a streamlined approach. We want the Minister to monitor all SETAs in their delays. Urgent action is required, to ensure those employed remains employed, those registered as businesses remain open, and learners can continue with educational programmes whereby they will not be disadvantaged. We support this appeal and petition by completing and signing it."

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...6eHj8_OrVrI3gB

Default Re: Petition: "Prevent the collapse of Skills Development: extend SETA legacy quals and unit stds"

My exposure to SETA as it affected gunsmiths and firearm instructors told me that it is an utter waste of time and nothing more than another ANC interference in the free market not unlike BEE.

User

Default Re: Petition: "Prevent the collapse of Skills Development: extend SETA legacy quals and unit stds"

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    My exposure to SETA as it affected gunsmiths and firearm instructors told me that it is an utter waste of time and nothing more than another ANC interference in the free market not unlike BEE.
    Prettymuch all SETA's and I would throw in SAQA and all its BS Unit Standards has a singular purpose: To justify the existance of SETA's and SAQA. It is fuck all more than a mechanism that keeps "Training Providers" afloat where the "Training industry" has become an industry unto itself that serves to justify its own existance versus an industry that was supposed to serve the ACTUAL industry.

Like Health and Safety (Especially in the Construction Sector...). The "Health and Safety industry" is nothing more than a middleman serving its own justification. But it is a legal requirement ...so there has to be a regulator with a few fat-cats at the top who make a few media statements now and then and publish something useless in the government gazette from time to time while driving 2 Million rand cars and living in Rosebank and Waterkloof ridge between their white neighbours while workers on construction sites live on R50 a day and get exploited and treated like shit in our democratic utopia.

Viva Comrades, may God strike down those who get rich off the suffering of others.

User

The SETAs were just another ANC gravy pumping scheme. Amongst other things they caused the apprenticeship system in many trades to collapse leaving us with a crippling shortage of qualified tradesmen.