User

Default Biltong Hunting vs Normal Hunting?

Hello Gents.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, I am just learning about hunting and in the process of buying my first rifle.

I keep hearing about and seeing ads for Biltong hunting.

Please could someone explain how this differs from regular hunting where the aim is to harvest meat for the purpose of cooking and eating?

I wouldn't mind hunting and making biltong but my main purpose is to fill the freezer with meat for the family.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Biltong Hunting vs Normal Hunting?

It means exactly what you are looking for. In other words not trophy animals and mostly of the female species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposite to biltong hunting is not the meat hunting you think it is, but trophy hunting.

Hunters looking for meat are often called biltong hunters, whatever they will actually do with the meat.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Ads for biltong hunting will normally be on a "normal" gamefarm, like in not a 5 star lodge with a pH and tracker available for mostly hunters from other countries paying in Euro or Dollar. The animals on the menu will also be mostly females (the trophy sized bulls is priced for the Dollar paying customers) and/or younger/inferior bulls. (Biltong bulls is what we call them. Those that will never mature into decent trophies.) You will probably hunt with one of the farm employees or the owner or his son. "Biltong hunts" is the opposit of an "African Safari."

I really hope you get your license and get started on hunting. Biltong hunting is the perfect start.

As stated by others, the "Biltong" part is just indicating that you hunt for the meat, not the horns.

Go for it! And never stop.

User

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the clarification.

In the just waiting for competency certs to arrive and then Ill be picking up the Howa 308 I've had my eye on.

Thank you again

User

No need to wait for the competency certificate!

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Excellent choice on make and caliber for your first hunting rifle. .308 will work for "Normal", "Biltong" and "Safari" hunting of all sorts except Dangerous Game.

When ariving at the choice of scope for a general purpose hunting rifle, remember that you really don't need a scope that beat the price of your rifle x 3. A decent brand of 3-9 x 40 with a 25 mm tube of less than R 10 000 is more than adequate. (Why this comment... . Was in a gunshop earlier this week and overheard a conversation where a first time rifle owner of also a .308 was advised to buy a 6 - 18 x 50 scope for Impala and BWB hunting in the Ellisras Bushveld area. My tongue still hurts from biting on it to let it go. Not my circus, not my monkeys, but now I can at least rant a bit on Gunsite.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Excellent choice on make and caliber for your first hunting rifle. .308 will work for "Normal", "Biltong" and "Safari" hunting of all sorts except Dangerous Game.

When ariving at the choice of scope for a general purpose hunting rifle, remember that you really don't need a scope that beat the price of your rifle x 3. A decent brand of 3-9 x 40 with a 25 mm tube of less than R 10 000 is more than adequate. (Why this comment... . Was in a gunshop earlier this week and overheard a conversation where a first time rifle owner of also a .308 was advised to buy a 6 - 18 x 50 scope for Impala and BWB hunting in the Ellisras Bushveld area. My tongue still hurts from biting on it to let it go. Not my circus, not my monkeys, but now I can at least rant a bit on Gunsite.)
    Hear hear. Big scopes like that firstly make a rifle a pain to carry and only really help on the range. In thick bush they are a liability.

User

Selection of scope will be area dependent , as above thicker bush = smaller scopes