Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Carrying at the workplace

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I think that should be clear if you have ever read anything Ive ever posted on this forum.
    Almost thought someone took over the T!!

Quote Originally Posted by KAVANGO View Post
    How do you know that the rule does not exist unless you ask?

As an employee, it is your own responsibility to understand the terms and conditions of your employment; some companies have policies very well documented around bringing weapons to the workplace, others you may need to reach out to HR for a copy of the rules.

If discovered carrying, some companies may give you a warning, others consent to carrying the firearm, others may adopt a zero-tolerance approach and you are summarily dismissed.
    You're placing a reverse onus on an employee here that isn't the case.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Default Carrying at the workplace

It also depends on the severity of the offense. At a company I worked previously, an idiot walked around flaunting his gun. He got a final written warning. It's stupid people like these that make things difficult for the rest. Such is life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

You got a problem if this is in your contract

13.1 The Employee expressly agrees to submit his person and personal belongings and/or property to a search by any person designated by the Employer and/or the client, whenever the Employer and/or the client deem it necessary.
    13.3 The Employee acknowledges and associates himself with the fact that close circuit television and/or any other surveillance equipment/methods may be used in the work/client place to monitor and/or control security, theft and other losses.
    13.4 The Employee acknowledges that he is not allowed to bring/carry any firearms, knives, pangas, knopkierries, drugs, alcohol and/or any other dangerous weapons or illegal substances to the premises of the Employer and/or the client.

User

For a chairman to recommend sanction the following is taken into account.

1. Is there a rule?
    2. Was the rule broken?
    3. Was the employee aware of the rule?

Without these all being YES you cannot be lawfully dismissed.

It remains the employers responsibility to induct on IR and HR.

This is not something standard to be displayed with other SHE related posters etc. Occupational health and safety/security management will simply display signage for the most part not normally include it during site inductions.

Going according to SA labour recommendations on the infraction of bringing unauthorised weapons onto work premises, it is a dismissal. Note that is states weapons. Not just guns.

I think to tell someone that they must shut up and carry is not so simple.

I've been without work for a few months before finding employment. Like everything, it's choices we make and live with.

User

Lightbulb Re: Carrying at the workplace

Sorry for reviving this thread but I was hoping to share an experience and look for help and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post
    Without reading every post in detail, has anyone discussed the severity of the so called "offence" when being made at work?

Bearing in mind that not everyone and all employers to stick to what is reasonable. However I cannot see how carrying to work will cost you your job and that the employer will be able to justify a dismissal on a first offence?
    I concealed carry for 2 years. I work in a corporate firm and had no one ever approach me on this until 3 wks ago. The HR manager called me in with my manager and asked me if I carry a firearm to work which I admitted to. Apparently someone told her a while back but she did not want to go on one persons word so after the second person pointed it out she called me in. Could have been the first person selling me out to someone else because subsequent to the event, I asked 2 ppl who are very close to me at work if they ever saw me carry in the past 2 years. Not only did they admit that they didn't see it, they never knew I even possessed one so either the other person used to carry or or knows a partner or such that does carry.

Anyway, the HR manager asked me why I carry and I said that I travel to work on an unsafe route and I have been hijacked twice before (which is true BTW and I have the case number to prove it to them had they probed).

She understood my point and said that she had a talk with management already and they do have a policy (which I knew of already in my employment letter) that does not allow for firearms on the premises. They don't have a safe either for me to keep whilst at work. However, they noted my reason for carry and will try to look for an alternative but until then I can't bring it to work.

Its been a month and I feel naked but after having a diplomatic discussion with them, I am debating whether they will be so generous if they find out I carry now that they have made their feelings clear. I don't know on the outcome in future and neither do I know how long it will take if they decide to get a safe or such. Feel like a sitting duck at the moment. Looking for options...

User

If you have a place and they are open to options offer to pay for and install a safe yourself at least then you can carry to and from work.
    I doubt they will have an issue of you have a suitable office with a real wall etc to mount it properly

User

Look into a vehicle safe

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Look into a vehicle safe
    Problem with this is if the steal your vehicle, then you have even more trouble.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    Problem with this is if the steal your vehicle, then you have even more trouble.

If your DFO approves of your vehicle safe you're good to go.
    It's just a schlep (and monetary loss) if your vehicle is stolen, nothing more.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast