Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Weatherby's Vanguard vs Howa

A while ago I phoned a dealer to find out a price on a Weatherby Vanguard synthetic package. Where you get the rifle, a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 scope and a gun case for about 11,5K.Which I think is not a bad price. I think the Bushnell scope is about 1,5K. How would the Howa compare if you buy the same scope. The same setup in the Howa would be about 9K. 7K for the rifle, 1,5 for the scope and say R500 for a bag/case or whatever. Is it worth it to go for the Weatherby over the Howa?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Default Re: Weatherby's Vanguard vs Howa

The Weatherby Vanguard rifles are manufactured in Japan by Howa to Weatherby spec, Howa also produce actions for S&W. You would be very well served with a Howa rifle for they make use of the same Weatherby specs on their own rifles, if you're into Brand Names, buy the Weatherby, but know that it's only the name that you pay R2500 more the rifle is the very same.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hund View Post
    The Weatherby Vanguard rifles are manufactured in Japan by Howa to Weatherby spec, Howa also produce actions for S&W. You would be very well served with a Howa rifle for they make use of the same Weatherby specs on their own rifles, if you're into Brand Names, buy the Weatherby, but know that it's only the name that you pay R2500 more the rifle is the very same.
    Good to know! 2,5K for a name means nothing to me. It does make a month or two difference to when I can buy the rifle.

User

Yeah, equates to more loot for ammo and accessories.

User

I have a Howa varminter in .223 and I am very happy with mine.223 Howa.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    I have a Howa varminter in .223 and I am very happy with mine.223 Howa.JPG
    That is impressive! Well done!

Hi ArnoG26 and Teufal Hund
    I am sorry to say you guys do not have all the facts!
    The Howa is not a bad rifle at all, but...
    The Weatherby Package includes the rifle, the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, bases and rings, a synthetic case, sling and sling swivels.
    The rifle in standard calibre @ R8679.00
    The Bushnell 3-9 x 40 Dusk to Dawn banner @ R2423.00
    Bases from Leupold @ R345.00
    Rings from Leupold @ R335.00
    Synthetic case @ R863.00
    Sling @ R245.00
    Swivels @ R136.00
    Total = R13026.00
    The price from Kalahari Arms for the Weatherby Package in standard calibres at this time is:
    R11850.00! A saving of R1176.00!
    Secondly
    The Weatherby Rifles come with a Guaranteed Accuracy of one and a half inch or better 3 - shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when using premium factory ammunition. Weatherby remains one of the few production rifle companies that back its performance with a written accuracy guarantee. Something you are not getting form Howa!
    Firstly i would like to say very nice PMC that is a good group! Like i have said nothing wrong with Howa! But Weatherby also make Varmint rifles and in the Vanguard SUB – MOA Varmint! There you get the SUB – MOA accuracy guarantee! Guaranteed to shoot a 3 – shot group of .99 inch or less when used with factory or premium ammunition!
    I would love to know PMC, was that hand loads or factory ammo you shot that group with?
    If you guys have any questions on the Weatherby rifle range or related products please give us a call on 011 – 795-1100! I would be glad to help out no problem! Buying a rifle is a big investment and it is very important to make the right decision the first time. In the current licensing state where you could wait a long time for your rifle, and then only find out it was an error it could mean a lot of frustration and problems! The decision will always stay yours on what you buy, but please make sure it is the best decision for you! Never compromise on a product that you may have for the rest of your life, or pass on to your kids and grand kids.

• And remember like Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting".
    (011) 795-1100 martin@kalahariarms.com
    Simple is always better !

User

Well I guess then Howa builds the Weatherby rifles on new up to date cnc machinery and their own Howa rifles are built making use of world war II hand tools, thus not nearly as accurate as a Weatherby Vanguard.
    Easy to guarantee a rifle shoots sub moa, bit more difficult to guarantee the shooter is capable of sub moa shooting.

User

Animal,

Thanks for the info.

The group was shot with hand loads. I have used the same load and shot a 15mm 3 shot grouping at 200 meters.

I am Happy with my little Howa.

PMC

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Hi ArnoG26 and Teufal Hund
    I am sorry to say you guys do not have all the facts!
    The Howa is not a bad rifle at all, but...
    The Weatherby Package includes the rifle, the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, bases and rings, a synthetic case, sling and sling swivels.
    The rifle in standard calibre @ R8679.00
    The Bushnell 3-9 x 40 Dusk to Dawn banner @ R2423.00
    Bases from Leupold @ R345.00
    Rings from Leupold @ R335.00
    Synthetic case @ R863.00
    Sling @ R245.00
    Swivels @ R136.00
    Total = R13026.00
    The price from Kalahari Arms for the Weatherby Package in standard calibres at this time is:
    R11850.00! A saving of R1176.00!
    Secondly
    The Weatherby Rifles come with a Guaranteed Accuracy of one and a half inch or better 3 - shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when using premium factory ammunition. Weatherby remains one of the few production rifle companies that back its performance with a written accuracy guarantee. Something you are not getting form Howa!
    Firstly i would like to say very nice PMC that is a good group! Like i have said nothing wrong with Howa! But Weatherby also make Varmint rifles and in the Vanguard SUB – MOA Varmint! There you get the SUB – MOA accuracy guarantee! Guaranteed to shoot a 3 – shot group of .99 inch or less when used with factory or premium ammunition!
    I would love to know PMC, was that hand loads or factory ammo you shot that group with?
    If you guys have any questions on the Weatherby rifle range or related products please give us a call on 011 – 795-1100! I would be glad to help out no problem! Buying a rifle is a big investment and it is very important to make the right decision the first time. In the current licensing state where you could wait a long time for your rifle, and then only find out it was an error it could mean a lot of frustration and problems! The decision will always stay yours on what you buy, but please make sure it is the best decision for you! Never compromise on a product that you may have for the rest of your life, or pass on to your kids and grand kids.

• And remember like Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting".

(011) 795-1100 martin@kalahariarms.com
    Animal that is great info! This is what I wanted to hear. All the extras and the price is awesome on the Weatherby. I will be seeing you guys very soon. Great service Animal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast