Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Best way to sharpen a knife....

I've got a few nice blades which need some sharpening. Don't want to wreck them, especially ones with black blades. Did that to my small gerber Gaurdian and can't ber looking at it anymore. Can someone please explain an easy foolproof system. I've got a lansky 5 stone sharpening set and an oil stone. Thanks.

Default Re: Best way to sharpen a knife....

I use an Arkansas flat stone. fast and furious.
    If your afraid of scratching the coating on your blade use the lansky 5 stone. its fullproof, but will take you a bit longer!

PS. blades are meant to have scratches!!!!
    MOLON LABE

User

Each person has their preferred method of sharpening blades. Being a maker I use my belt grinder with a sharpening belt. This works in seconds. I then buff or strop the edge off. Failing that I always recommended using sharpening stones. I feel these assisted sharpening systems take something away from the skill and sensitivity required to make a blade sharp. Many a customer has brought knives from other makers for me to sharpen because they struggle. I could tell you how to use a stone but the best way is via demonstration. If you really want to know i will oblige but its difficult to put into words the correct method.

User

I have a two sided oil stone. The struggle for me would be to obtain a perfect 20deg angle and maintain it through the stroke.

I have had a close look at the ground face and find it to be variable...ie multi sided..maybe I'm changing angles without noticing...that why I would think a Lansky would maintain the angle and have a uniform edge?

User

Thanks for the input.... my biggest problem is that the knives I've sharpened never seem to keep the edge. Certainly not as long as the original from when I bought. Granted these are cheaper models and I tend to grind away till I get something reasonable. Don't want to repeat this on the better knives!

User

I also struggle to keep my angles constant, and went as far as to buy a Tormek Wet Grinding Wheel. Works like a charm. However when I'm traveling I always take the trusty old Lansky along. Great to spend a hour or two next to the fire, really honing your favorite knife.

This is not the best way. IT is my way.

The best way is practice with any quality sharpening tools. Never let your knife get dull in the first place or you will have to remove a lot of metal to get it sharp again. To maintain an edge is better then to restore an edge.

Here is the result

User

Impressive results!

User

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    I also struggle to keep my angles constant, and went as far as to buy a Tormek Wet Grinding Wheel. Works like a charm. However when I'm traveling I always take the trusty old Lansky along. Great to spend a hour or two next to the fire, really honing your favorite knife.
    I also have the Tormek grinder,it works really well indeed.

User

marthinus - I notice that you are stroking away from the edge as opposed to into the edge on the sandpaper. I always though that this way leaves a burr on the edge.

Is this ok if you are only touching up or is this the way you always do it on "new" profiles as well?

I suppose it does not matter, because your results show it!

Thanks for the vids!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast