Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Some Short Shotguns

I was digging around in the safe looking for something and ended up taking out some shotguns. Decided to take a pic.

Here is my Rem 1100 Tactical in OD Green. I replaced the crappy pistol grip stock with a set of Real Tree from Remington. The hollow stock gave a brutal dose of "stock slap" no matter how hard I pressed my cheek into it, so I worked up a "spackle" of steel BB's and silicone caulk. Added enough weight to solve the problem.

Next is a JC Higgins Mod 20 (Made by High Standard) cut to 20". Paid $50 for this one and cut it down with a hacksaw.

Next is a JC Higgins Mod 20 cut to 18" and painted with Brownells Gun Kote in Earth Brown. The JC Higgins are forged steel, and one of the best pump guns ever made. Only 2 3/4" chambers, but they hold an extra round in the magazine (without extensions). If measured from the trigger to the end of the mag tube they are shorter than an 870, but hold one additional round. Paid $40 for this and painted it.

Next is my old Remington 870 Police Magnum, 18". Started life blued but I parkerized it in 1990. This gun has just about exactly 100,000 rds through it and has never broken. Bought this when I turned 18 in 1984.

Last is a Maverick 88 which was the first gun I ever painted. A co-worker bought this during the '92 LA Riots and never fired it. Picked it up 7 or 8 years ago along with 6 boxes (25rd) of good SD ammo, and another 10 boxes of field loads. $50 for all of it as his wife wanted it out of the house.

I have an old Remington M11 semi auto with a 30" and a 20" bbl, but it is in another safe out in the garage. Pics of that will need to wait til later. The rest of my shotguns are long barreled hunting shotguns.

User

Default Re: Some Short Shotguns

That's 1100 Tactical is very nice. One of those is right at the top of my wishlist.

The paint job on the Maverick is really nicely done.

The 870 Police Magnum is a great shotgun. It's a pityost of the 870's here are Express models which aren't in the same class.

I don't think we ever got any of the JC Higgins here. Profile looks a bit like an early Mossberg 500

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    That's 1100 Tactical is very nice. One of those is right at the top of my wishlist.

The 870 Police Magnum is a great shotgun. It's a pityost of the 870's here are Express models which aren't in the same class.

I don't think we ever got any of the JC Higgins here. Profile looks a bit like an early Mossberg 500
    The JC Higgins were a department store brand here. It was the Sears brand. They were made by High Standard and the Mossbergs are the same design. But the JC Higgins are all forged steel, even the slide bar.

They also cycle VERY fast.

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

And regarding the 1100, it is wise to keep a couple of spare "O" rings on hand. But I got a 20ga 1100 for my son when he turned 13. We shot skeet at least twice a week for about 4 years, along with other random shooting. 12 years later he is still on the original "O" ring, so they are a little more durable than people think.

User

the shotguns in cammo are just outstanding ,beautiful collection

User

Quote Originally Posted by reinhard View Post
    the shotguns in cammo are just outstanding ,beautiful collection
    Thanks! Where ya been?

User

been bussy for the last weeks,back at work YIPEEE

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 ----------

[QUOTE=M14sRock;130085]I was digging around in the safe looking for something
    Rock I think your safe is one of the supersized types, knowing the guns you own
    anyway here is a pic of my maverick,and I want to paint it like yours ,give me some advice bro,type of paint ,and how do get the cammo effect on the gun?

User

[QUOTE=reinhard;130195]been bussy for the last weeks,back at work YIPEEE

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
    I was digging around in the safe looking for something
    Rock I think your safe is one of the supersized types, knowing the guns you own
    anyway here is a pic of my maverick,and I want to paint it like yours ,give me some advice bro,type of paint ,and how do get the cammo effect on the gun?
    Rather than 1 big safe, I have 4 medium sized safes at Chez Rock plus a big Browning at my remote location in a "free state". I need one more here, though.

My Maverick was dirt cheap so I painted it in about 15 minutes to see how the paint worked on guns.

First coat was Desert Tan. The nozzles on the paint cans are called "fan nozzles" so turning them on their side makes them like a blade instead of a fan. A very thin line of paint. The paint is Brownells Aluma Hyde 2 (which is epoxy based and very durable), but there is a brand called Aervoe that is very durable, too. You might find it at a paint store there. I know guys who use the Krylon camo colors too. If you don't often use spray paint, practice on a pipe or something before you do the gun. If you put the coats of paint on too thick it will run. Go slow with thin coats.

I don't know if Brownells ships paint over seas. But if they do, get two cans of each color because sometimes the cans arrive dead.

Wipe the whole gun down with acetone and rough it up with some 1000 grit sandpaper, then wipe it down with acetone again.

Mask off the bead and any other things you don't want painted. Then hang up your shotgun outdoors, but do it so that you can turn it around as you paint. I hange them muzzle down and use my finger inside the muzzle to turn and control the gun. Apply thin, even coats making sure to get the nooks and crannies (does that translate?). Then do a series of stripes in another color, leaving room for other colors. Move to a new color and do the same. Use as many colors as you want. I no longer use black, but may start again.

You can make stencils using a razor blade and paper. Sometimes I use pieces of nylon mesh cut from a sniper veil, but any net or mesh will work. Guys also use leaves.

Use short, controlled bursts when using stencils or mesh and make sure to hold the stencil still when painting.

But frankly, unless you want art, just hang it and give it alternating shots of paint until it looks the way you want. Then stand at the other end of the yard and look at it. Break up the outline and you are GTG.

Email me and I can give you a complete step by step if you want.

User

thanks for the tip Rock,I payed 200$ for my maverick so I guess thats dirt cheap too,but it's the only shottie I own and I don't want to mess it up,practicing on a pipe or any other material is a good idea,when more advise is wanted I will E-mail you ,again thanks for the advice

User

thanks for the tip Rock,I payed 200$ for my maverick so I guess thats dirt cheap too,but it's the only shottie I own and I don't want to mess it up,practicing on a pipe or any other material is a good idea,when more advise is wanted I will E-mail you ,again thanks for the advice
    Dig it. I was not a Mav88 fan until I picked this one up. It is a very serviceable shotgun and points pretty well for me.

User

mine is in cal 12/76 ,however I always use 12/70 shells

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

mine is in cal 12/76 ,however I always use 12/70 shells
    forgot to ask,did you take the gun apart?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast