Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Of Magnesium Blocks & Flint, Bushboy & Bare Grills

I had the privelege of spending a very interesting & educational weekend with Bushbboy in the um.... er... bush.
    He is a "Bush encyclopedia on legs"

Scraping magnesium and trying to light it, & thereby some kindling, with a flint is all about technique.
    If you carry such items on you or then make sure you are practised and that your preparation of fuel for the fire is done BEFORE you start.

The kids who were with us, spoke of a certain "Bare Grills" and all felt confindent about starting the fire. After 30-45 minutes later they were getting kinda despondent. Magnesium was alternately scrapped & scattered as they sweated throught the task.

Using an alchohol prep pad is a much more efficient way of starting the fire.
    If you shape the envelope into a "bowl" you can scrap your magnesium into it and you will have a really hot flame in no time.
    We tested this, one strike with sparks and voila we were GTG

Thanks for a great weekend Bushboy
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Default Re: Of Magnesium Blocks & Flint, Bushboy & Bare Grills

You should try a tampon to light a fire with.Even using just a firesteel it easy.The trick is to fluff the tampon out.You can use one tampon to start about 10 fires.

User

Yip firesteel and standard cotton wool works easy and every time - much easier than Magnesium blocks.

The magnesium works well if you have the technique down pat. The kids were strggling because they still were un accustomed to working with knives etc and we let them struggle as a learning experience to teach them perseverance. Once they had all struggled and failed we got it going in 2 strikes. The alcohol pad was an experiment later which was very succesfull, 1 strike and good flame.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

The problem the kids had was being able to effectively scrape the magnesium and deposit it into one spot at the same time as avoiding slicing thier fingers off. With some practice Im sure they'll get it right. They saw the usefullness of what I call a fire spoon and the best way to get kindling going etc. It wasnt as easy as they thought as the place was very green and there had been rain the day before. They also learned what wood to use and more importantly what not to use.

Banned

Could someone perhaps explain how to use magnesium/firesteel? I found one cheap today, and have always been hell of a curious, but trying this afternoon it is not easy! How much shavings do you need? I get a heap, have kindling ready, but once I light the magnesium, it burns out before I can get the leaves etc onto it. Granted, they're a little damp, but I though that was the point of the magnesium, to make it easier to light damp stuff?

User

the magnesium ignites easily from the spark but burns hot and fast, so I think you still need good kindling that will last long enough to dry out anything damp. Working vaseline into cotton balls makes great tinder/kindling that will burn a while, just be sure to fluff it up a lot if you're using it to catch a spark. I also found that the magnesium shavings don't work well on a metal surface as it acts as a heat sink.

If you really want to have some fun, mix some crushed potassium permanganate in with the magnesium shavings- pretty much what they used in the flash trays of those old school, head-under-the-covers cameras you see in old western movies.

User

I normally ue really dry veld grass as kindling and found that the trick with my magnesium block and stricker is that not to scrape but more a 'gouging' type action that shoots hot sparks onto the grass. I sure it would be more difficult under pressure but not impossible.

Try the fire spoon method. Use what's at hand such as a piece of bark or a carved hollow in a piece of wood. Place your starter kindlingin the hollow and grind the magnesium into the hollow along side it. A used gun cleaning patch works very well but use what ever fine dry airy material you can find. A good trick if you don't have an alternative is to find some dry grass or leaves and rub them hard between your hands. This willreduce it to fibres and will make it easier to ignite. Once you are ready, strike onto magnesium pile and quickly ket your starter kindling going. Now move your fire spoon under your prepared fire . This should consist of fine kindling (such as dry grass), thin twigs (like spaghetti) thicker twigs(like pencils)going up in size till you have a few pieces as thick as your wrist. I sometimes put some smaller stuff on top again to help create draw. Have fun :)

PS
    If using a cleanin patch or other price of material, grind the magnesium onto it as it also acts a a trap, catching the filings otherwise they tend to bounce away. That's another reason I use the spoon method as it help keep the filings together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast