User

Default Importing of Rifle Scopes

With reference to a posting on a previous thread...

Quote : "Re: vortex viper 4-12x40 -(can a friend in usa post to SA?)
    Bottom line, scopes are regulated items which require a permit. So no permit and you run the risk of your item being seized, of which there may be other lawful consequences for the sender and end user. If you can get a permit...go for it.
    My plan...support local.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think the no permit importing of scopes can be put to bed now.

http://beta-www.bis.doc.gov/index.ph...ties-equipment - for those who feel the need to be sure. look at reg 0A987."

I just received my 2x rifle scopes from the USA

Bushnell 4-16x40 with IR Hunters and AO
    BSA 4-16x40 with IR mil-dot with side turret AO
    Cost for both - R2550
    How it works - Scopes were bought and send to an address in the USA, from there it gets posted to RSA. At your local post office you collect, pay your VAT and R50 custom fees - there is no import duties.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Importing of Rifle Scopes

I have also not experienced any issue with importing riflescopes. I bought two Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 BDC scopes via the web and had it delivered to an address in the USA where I collected. As I did not want to put the scopes in my checked baggage in case of theft at JHB International, I put them in my hand luggage. I cleared customs in the USA in Washington where they were inspected. I cleared customs in South Africa where they were inspected and because I had the invoice that showed they cost less than R5000 (which is your allowance) I did not pay any duties or further VAT on them at JHB customs.

I did exactly the same recently with a Layman Sonic cleaner and then again on another trip with a Layman DPS 3 reloading unit. These are all "regulated" items. In the one instance the USA customs opened my suitecase and inspected my luggage and placed a form that said - "Inspected but Customs" in the suitecase but still zero problems with bringing the products in.

Don't do it! I have 3 pretty expensive Burris optic's with US dept of defense. Its a PITA when it goes wrong! Buy local!