Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Leupold VX I vs VX II vs VX III

Hi guys

What are the significant improvements (benefits) for increased price when you move up the ladder from a VX I to VX II to VX III for eg on a 3-9x40

User

Default Re: Leupold VX I vs VX II vs VX III

All Leupold scopes are impact tested to the same level. The only scopes that are truly built to a different standard is the fixed power, 16X Mark IV or the fixed power 10X Mark IV. These 2 scopes have a thicker wall to the main tube.

The main difference between the VX-I, VX-II and VX-II is the light transmission and low light performance because of the different lens coatings used on each. The VX-1 has slightly more light transmission than the Vari-X-II that was manufactured about 6 or 7 years ago.

The VX-II is basically the same as the Vari-X-III manufactured about 5 years ago.
    And the VX-III has the best light transmission of all three. It's more akin to the VX-7 with its extended twilight lens system.
    You will also notice that there are more sophisticated reticles available in the VX-III scopes.
    VX-1 scopes have friction style adjustments, VX-II has 1/4 moa clicks.
    The VX-III also has 1/4 moa clicks but you don't need a coin or screw driver to make the adjustment. It has a very low profile finger adjustable adjustment.

So basically it's lens(optics) quality and I think you will only see the diffs in low light conditions

User

According to Leupold the VxIII's lenses are also more scratch resistant thanks to Diamondcoat.
    These scopes will all last you a lifetime and they're backed by Leupold's warranty and service.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudib View Post
    So basically it's lens(optics) quality and I think you will only see the diffs in low light conditions
    So what you are saying is unless you intend hunting in gloomy conditions and require a fancy reticule the cheaper range are just as good as the expensive?

User

IMO, yes

User

Quote Originally Posted by kurly View Post
    So what you are saying is unless you intend hunting in gloomy conditions and require a fancy reticule the cheaper range are just as good as the expensive?
    I have a LOT of Leupold scopes. They are all great hunting scopes that will give you many lifetime's of trouble free service. The VX3's have click adjustments, as well as better lens coatings. But all are very serviceable scopes.

User

I have an older 3-9 VX-2 on my 340 weatherby. It has never shifted zero and has enough eye relief that I do not get banged on the head, a serious concern with a 340. I do admit I do not shoot it as much as my AR15 because it hurts my wallet and my body, but I picked it carefully. I actually prefer the adjustments on the VX 2 for hunting, target use I would prefer click adjustments.

User

I own a couple of VXIII scopes and yes I agree in normal daytime hunting you will most probably have to be an expert to notice any differences in image quality, but if you have to follow up a wounded wildebeest shot half an hour before sunset the little extra the VXIII cost is well worth it as it's light gathering qualities makes it look lighter through the scope than with the naked eye.

The best advice I' ve heard on optics is to buy the most expensive scope you can afford. You cannot shoot what you cannot see.

Try Shootersmarket.co.za
    Outdoorguru.co.za
    Huntersboma.co.za
    and Safariandoutdoor.co.za

User

Anybody with experience ordering from Outdoorguru?

thanks

User

The VX2 is imo excellent value for money.

If I remember correctly from a presentation I attended the VX2 has the same optics (since around 2009) that was used on the 2008 VXIII scopes and the VX3 has been upgraded to the VXL optics.

I shoot Leupold and I am thoroughly happy with VXIII 2.5-8x36, VX2 3-9x40, MARK IV 6.5-20x50.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast