Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Leupold VX I vs VX II vs VX III

I have just managed to pick up a brand new VXII 2005 model - never been used. I paid R1200 for it. How does this compare to the VXII of 2011? I have been told that it is slightly better than the VXI of 2011 but not as good as the VXII - is this accurate?

User

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck View Post
    I have just managed to pick up a brand new VXII 2005 model - never been used. I paid R1200 for it. How does this compare to the VXII of 2011? I have been told that it is slightly better than the VXI of 2011 but not as good as the VXII - is this accurate?
    See my post above.

The current VX1 is same iro optics as the older VXII.

User

With the approval of my .22 licence, the Simmons that was on my Mauser is now there and I have mounted a VX1 3-9x40 on the Mauser.

Club range day on Sunday so can sight in both scopes

User

Hi guys

I just received my Leupold 3-9x40 LR Duplex Scope that I ordered from the States. The scope plus postage came to R2700 and it took a week to arrive at my local post office.

I am planning to fit the scope on my 8x57JS Mauser. Currently it has a 4x32 Tasco on that I swopped for a case of beer almost eleven years ago. That scope provided me with flawless service all that time. I surely hope the Leupold will do the same.

Regards

Alvar

User

Alvar, what procedure to order from the states and which supplier did you use?
    Was there any taxes or duties payable?

Quote Originally Posted by Alvar View Post
    ..That scope provided me with flawless service all that time. I surely hope the Leupold will do the same...

Regards

Alvar
    You had better hope so, as if you ever have a problem, and have to send it for service, it will be confiscated and not returned having been exported illegally from the USA.
    I doubt your exporter went to the trouble of getting State Dept clearance and permits?
    Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much when you cannot use it.

DSG

Note that the old Leupold scopes were called Vari-X.
    An old Vari-X III is about the same as a newer VX-II. Vari-X II then, is about the same as the VX-I now.
    Also....2012 has seen another improvement in the scopes. The VX-II has now been improved in coatings and clarity, and is not called (yes...you can only see the difference when reading it) VX-2.
    VX-III was improved 2 years ago and became VX-3

So when inquiring about scopes, for the latest models you should clarify if it ends in a roman numeral or a number. The earlier ones are still great though and an excellent buy.

DSG

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    You had better hope so, as if you ever have a problem, and have to send it for service, it will be confiscated and not returned having been exported illegally from the USA.
    I doubt your exporter went to the trouble of getting State Dept clearance and permits?
    Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much when you cannot use it.

DSG
    I have come to the conclusion that somebody in South Africa is making a lot of money on rifle scopes. The scope i want is priced in the US at around $610. Now this is selling price and include all the traders mark-ups etc. Translated into ZAR it is R4,880. The very best price for this scope in SA is R7,400. WHERE DOES ALL THE OTHER COST COME FROM TO BRING IT TO ALMOST DOBLE???

Quote Originally Posted by Kapt_Sardyn View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that somebody in South Africa is making a lot of money on rifle scopes. The scope i want is priced in the US at around $610. Now this is selling price and include all the traders mark-ups etc. Translated into ZAR it is R4,880. The very best price for this scope in SA is R7,400. WHERE DOES ALL THE OTHER COST COME FROM TO BRING IT TO ALMOST DOBLE???
    Have you not noticed how gun dealers are the richest people in RSA?

It's business, not charity.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kapt_Sardyn View Post
    With that level of mathematical skill I would advise you to rather not dabble in importing yourself.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast