Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default question on SA knife laws

Hello, I am posting from Arizona in the United States. I had a question about your knife laws.
    My Son just arrived in your country a couple of months ago and will be there for 2 years doing some work for our church. He has asked me to send him what we call a "Credit Card Tool" it is a small kit that has tweezers and small screw drivers as well as small fixed blade knife that has a 2 inch blade. It is designed to be carried in your wallet. Not as a weapon but as a tool. You can see it at www.toollogic.com. My question is will he be in violation of any of your laws by carrying the small kinfe concealed in his wallet or pocket? It is legal here but I would hate for him to get in trouble by violating any of your laws. He is in the Cape Town area if it matters. Thank you.

User

Default Re: question on SA knife laws

There is no problem with it.

We have an old piece of legislation referring to dangerous weapons but it is a very grey area and generally up to the authorities on the scene. I really don't believe there will be any issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by grom View Post
    Hello, I am posting from Arizona in the United States. I had a question about your knife laws.
    My Son just arrived in your country a couple of months ago and will be there for 2 years doing some work for our church. He has asked me to send him what we call a "Credit Card Tool" it is a small kit that has tweezers and small screw drivers as well as small fixed blade knife that has a 2 inch blade. It is designed to be carried in your wallet. Not as a weapon but as a tool. You can see it at www.toollogic.com. My question is will he be in violation of any of your laws by carrying the small kinfe concealed in his wallet or pocket? It is legal here but I would hate for him to get in trouble by violating any of your laws. He is in the Cape Town area if it matters. Thank you.

Hi Grom, welcome to GS and welcome your son to SA. I have seen this CC tool and as far as I know, it is legal to carry in SA.
    sleep when you're dead

User

Shouldn't be a problem. I think I've seen such tools locally as well. Might be cheaper to pick up a set here instead of having to send it internationally. I'll have a look and see where he might be able to pick one up locally.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

It's also available at any Outdoor Warehouse or Cape Union Mart chain store.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

This is what you are looking for?

http://www.mantality.co.za/survival-card.html

or

http://www.mantality.co.za/stuff/out...companion.html

R250- odd and you can order online.
    Last edited by cerop; 29-12-2010 at 08:01.

User

pardon the ignorance... but ARE there knife laws in SA? examples of a "restricted" blade?

User

There is a restriction on blade length in regards to the dangerous weapons act, but I have never met a police officer aware of this and seriously doubt the state would try prosecute on it when our courts are so crowded as it is. However it does exist so be aware of it..

As for the card, they are available at many places here in SA. I would like to welcome your son to the country

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    pardon the ignorance... but ARE there knife laws in SA? examples of a "restricted" blade?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

That still gets me. Sharp-pointed stick .... Rocket launcher...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast