Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: question on SA knife laws

This DWA brings more questions to my mind than answers.

If you look back at post #15 where Frank posted the 'cover page' of this notice you will see the following wording:
    ....from being in possession at any time at any gathering at or in any public place of any object belonging to a class....

When I read that I interpret it as follows:
    1. No persons (except the paragraph 3 exclusions)
    2. May be in possession
    3. At any time (no exception period)
    4. At any gathering at any public place, or
    5. At any gathering in any public place
    6. Of any object specified in paragraph 2

Is my interpretation in points 4 and 5 correct or do others interpret it as:
    7. any gatherings at any public place, or (excluding gatherings at private places)
    8. in any public places (public places in general)

The reason why I ask this question is that it is my opinion that the Minister wanted to tighten things with the 2008 draft amendment to the DWA. In the 2008 draft they wanted to extend the prohibition to "any place to which the public
    generally has access" which per definition is a much stricter prohibition than gatherings in a public place.

I know few of us are legal eagles but I would like to hear how other laymen interpret the wording referred to above.

Rudes

I think the best option would be to consult a professional lawyer or another person literate in this field with your questions as public open space has its own legislation as far as I can remember at the moment. I know in our town and regional planning public space means parks, open streets, sidewalks. In environmental terms the term is slightly different. One would have to do the legwork IMO and also consult a professional on the matter.

For me I understand it as follows:
    No object listed (knife with 10cm +, panga, axe) can be held in public space (public access rode for example) unless you are using it for work or transporting the object with the legal documentation.

Driving around with a home made projectile, grenades etc brings in other acts I believe that fall into the department of defense acts.

There is no one law on the other things such as grenades, rocket launcher, those laws get really complicated!

Disclaimer: I am not an legal eagle and have limited knowledge of laws to my specific fields where we also use professionals that deal with legal issues every day. Consult Yours is the best advice!

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Most of the police officers I have asked weren't too sure about blade lengths but i was advised never to say it is intended for defense purposes

....from being in possession at any time at any gathering at or in any public place of any object belonging to a class....

When I read that I interpret it as follows:
    1. No persons (except the paragraph 3 exclusions)
    2. May be in possession
    3. At any time (no exception period)
    4. At any gathering at any public place, or
    5. At any gathering in any public place
    6. Of any object specified in paragraph 2

Is my interpretation in points 4 and 5 correct or do others interpret it as:
    7. any gatherings at any public place, or (excluding gatherings at private places)
    8. in any public places (public places in general)

The reason why I ask this question is that it is my opinion that the Minister wanted to tighten things with the 2008 draft amendment to the DWA. In the 2008 draft they wanted to extend the prohibition to "any place to which the public
    generally has access" which per definition is a much stricter prohibition than gatherings in a public place.
    Am I correct to say that this istill only draft legislation and therefore has no application on any of us ... we should however be aware of what these guys are trying to achieve ...

User

Sorry to bump this thread but I'd rather bump it than create a new one since so much has been said here...
    Have there been any advances on the Dangerous Weapons Act?

I currently carry my folder with me but do not know what the legalities are regarding that....

I didn't even know this:
    Quote Originally Posted by koganinja View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. Most of the police officers I have asked weren't too sure about blade lengths but i was advised never to say it is intended for defense purposes
    If stopped and questioned I would probably have said it's for self defense but now I would do different. What would be your reasoning for carrying said knife?

Opening boxes, cutting pieces of tape, cutting biltong, slicing oranges, removing staples. You know, everyday stuff you would have used your old victorinox for.

The 1968 Act is unconstitutional.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    The 1968 Act is unconstitutional.
    Even though something is unconstitutional it still applies regardless :(

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    Even though something is unconstitutional it still applies regardless :(
    Based on what authority do you say that?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Based on what authority do you say that?
    Well if I'm stopped in the street or at a roadblock I'm worried my knife gets confiscated and AFAIK the officer has a right to do so because that's what is written in the rule books?
    I may (I hope) be wrong...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast