User

Default Can Rifle Stock Be Stained?

Hi all...

I have a Musgrave .243 in the pipeline that I am taking over from my Grandad. It has a yellowish stock which doesn't appeal to me as I have always been a fan of dark wood. I have considered a synthetic from armtec but love the warmth and character of wooden stocks. I will be having the barrel and action re-blued as well. My question is then, would I be able to have the stock re-finished/re-furbished and then stained to a darker colour..? Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated. Thanx...!!

User

Default Re: Can Rifle Stock Be Stained?

Iron out the dings and sand it lightly with steel wool. Not the kind you get in Grandma's kitchen; the very fine one you get at a paint store. Then try >Schaftol< (click to follow link)

User

Had a similar issue with 2 rifles - One yellowish and one reddish, but heavy gloss varnish. Stripped with a chemical stripper - the enviromentaly friendly one from plascon - forget the name. Lightly sanded and stained with woodoc gel stain - the imbuia one. worked well with no splothes. Was going to oil, bust sprayed with woodoc matt varnish. The woodoc matt varnish - yellow tin - can be tinted with there stains. Only saw this afterwards and when I chatted to a carpenter buddy he said because I was spraying should have just gone this route - no direct staining of wood. Overall result is very pleasing.

User

A friend made a mixture of wood oil with a little stain in it.
    Used that to darken my stock when I refurbished it.
    Came out very well
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Not only is Schaftol the best, but the smell is wonderful. Conjures up so many memories. Reminds me of my Grandad opening the safe on the farm, and the much anticipated hunting.

User

Thanx guys... Glad there's a way to improve the appearance, the yellow really looks shyte. Will make a guinea-pig outta my pellet gun for a practice run before I tackle the .243..!!

User

I stained my mini14's stock with black woodstain before I put a sealer on it. It looks good an definitelly better than a plastic stock. You could try that to. The grain stands out in black

Have a look on you tube. Search for stock refinishing. I scrubbed the stock with warm water and Mr Muscle to get rid of all the old oil and varnish etc. It also cleanse the checkering. Let it dry for a few days. Use medium to fine and then very fine sandpaper. I also used a soldering iron with a wet cloth to steam out all the dents. Once it is very smooth use Schaftol, the dark one. Take time and rub it every few hours for a day or two.I t worked for me.

Ps The rifle was also a 243 Musgrave....

User

Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    Have a look on you tube. Search for stock refinishing. I scrubbed the stock with warm water and Mr Muscle to get rid of all the old oil and varnish etc. It also cleanse the checkering. Let it dry for a few days. Use medium to fine and then very fine sandpaper. I also used a soldering iron with a wet cloth to steam out all the dents. Once it is very smooth use Schaftol, the dark one. Take time and rub it every few hours for a day or two.I t worked for me.

Ps The rifle was also a 243 Musgrave....

Thanx again. JHH, was your stock colour also yellowish..? Also how is the Musgrave, accurate..?

User

Quote Originally Posted by CasperC View Post
    I stained my mini14's stock with black woodstain before I put a sealer on it. It looks good an definitelly better than a plastic stock. You could try that to. The grain stands out in black
    I once stained the light wooden stock of a SS Mini 14 black with Black Like Me hair color, worked extremely well.