Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default IDPA and expectations

First off, I'd like to preface this by saying if you get pissed off with my comments, then you're exactly the target audience I'm looking for.

IDPA, in a nutshell was created by extremely knowledgeable SME's who were looking for a better tactical approach to competing on a level playing field. Names like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson spring to mind as the founders of the quickly expanding sport known as IDPA. What's in a name? Well, look at the combined experience of the people mentioned (Google is your friend) and you'll quickly see IDPA was not exactly created by a bunch of armchair commando's.

So yes, IDPA must be a deadly undercover Special Forces training regimen then? Well sorry to burst your fanboy bubble. No, IDPA is a sport and has a rulebook which at some stage, some section, made absolutely no sense to each one of us that competes already. I mean, how dare these people put a subsection in there that challenges your preconceived notions? How dare they put a rule in there that contradicts your CQB, CQC, anti-terrorist and anti-alien/zombie invasion training?

Ah, so IDPA must be purely sport then. Well time to don the tactical fishing vest, buy a GLOCK 34 and let loose the gods of gaming. In fact, it's just game so pack away your gun at the end of the day and pretend that you're the shit when it comes to land warfare. I mean, you've proved that you know how to shoot a stage. Why bother to even carry a gun daily when you can just show everyone what a hotrod you are when you haul out the pet customised piece on the weekend?

So what's my point? Quite simple: take from IDPA what you need to. In the US there are ex-SEAL's/SFOD-D etc, etc that compete in IDPA for enjoyment, skills maintenance, etc. In SA there are some ex-Heavyhitters (you know who you are) who love it for the same reason. As a contrast, there are civvies who truly need trigger time and they need an adrenaline push to truly test their fine motor skills under pressure.

In my opinion, too many people expect either one or the other from this shooting discipline, thus depriving themselves from what they actually need. Seriously, get over what you think IDPA is and just shoot it. You may just find the different perspective you needed or were looking for. For those who shoot it regularly and get the same results, change up and use different gear. More importantly, shoot it with a different perspective. Don't be a sheep. Stop trying to conform. Take what's necessary for YOU!
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Default Re: IDPA and expectations

Outstanding post!

Exceptional Thorkind, thank-you. I think you have hit the nail very squarely on the head!

Paraphrasing your last comment, a mantra that I come back to time & again in therapy is "find out what works for you!"
    Last edited by KevinF; 25-01-2011 at 22:41.

User

Yes, great post.

I had a conversation with the T once and it was based on my perception that I can use IDPA as a sort of training platform. T made the proper point that IDPA is actually a sport. If it was not for IDPA I would have very little, and unsubstantial trigger time.

I still need to thank the FCA for forcing me to get a DSS, and finally realy get involved with shooting.

Now, who wants to purchase my house and kids? Need some ammo.............

User

Great read!

Good post Thorkind!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

This should be a compulsory read for IDPA noobs.

Nice one Thorkind, well done.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Great Post, I fully agree.

User

Brilliant!

User

Make it a Sticky - Good post Thorkind.

IDPA provides the man in the street (especially the one that does not have the inclination to train tactically or the one who does not have the time to do that) with the opportunity to try out the equipment he carries or should carry. He will soon enough find out that all mags do not work all the time and what he should about it. He will find out all pistols do not work all the time and what he should do to minimise or avoid the problems. He will find out that ammo is not just ammo and he should make sure what he uses actually works all the time. He will find out the holster which he "wears" everyday but which he never actually "uses" is not really the shizzle he though it was. He will find out that the more he shoots the "luckier" he gets (refer Gary Player) with the hits on the target where they should be.......
    Last edited by DS; 26-01-2011 at 08:36.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast