Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shark attack

User

Default Shark attack

Just heard that there was a shark attack in the Sundays River mouth just outside of Port Elizabeth.
    He has been airlifted to hospital.
    Apparently it was a fisherman throwing for mullet.
    A witness said it looked like a white shark, personally I think a Zambezi (Bull).
    The rivers are running here from the inland water (despite the drought here).
    This is bringing the sharks in, and some monsters are being caught.

On this note, did anyone watch the program on National Geographic about the Bull Sharks in the Breede River?
    They caught a 1000 pounder there, which is the biggest ever caught!
    They've since caught many there despite not one attack on people is the last couple of years!
    Scary stuff!
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Default Re: Shark attack

Have not seen the report.It is scary I'm sure and damn painfull but the chances are alot less than being struck by lightning.That said I do not go too deep into the sea.

User

New update is that he apparently caught it, and it bit him on the leg.
    @sshole!
    I'd say a Raggie then, but don't know why they would airlift him for that??

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    New update is that he apparently caught it, and it bit him on the leg.
    @sshole!
    I'd say a Raggie then, but don't know why they would airlift him for that??
    Raggie in a river mouth? Not sure about that, but if it bit him, may have been a Raggie. They have a tendency to turn around and bite anything up to its tail! My money is still def on a Zambie.

I heard about the Zambie in the Breede river, was caught by Hennie Papenfuss IIRC. Was a female well over 500kg (IIRC she was pregnant as well...)
    Scary shit!!

I am with MyLani and Brendank regarding it most likely being a Zambezi.

I grew up on the Natal South Coast and we used to see them very often in rivers like the Umkomaas.

About a year ago, I spent a weekend on a houseboat on the Breede, between Malagas and the mouth. I swam often. I may reconsider this on my next trip ;) !

Sweet

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

On another note...we have friends in that slightly damp place called Queensland, Australia. THey have been spotting sharks 30km+ inland. Nobody recalls this happening in the '77 floods there, as far as I am aware.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    I am with MyLani and Brendank regarding it most likely being a Zambezi.

I grew up on the Natal South Coast and we used to see them very often in rivers like the Umkomaas.

About a year ago, I spent a weekend on a houseboat on the Breede, between Malagas and the mouth. I swam often. I may reconsider this on my next trip ;) !

Sweet

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

On another note...we have friends in that slightly damp place called Queensland, Australia. THey have been spotting sharks 30km+ inland. Nobody recalls this happening in the '77 floods there, as far as I am aware.
    Umkomaas is one of THE places to target Zambie's in KZN. Swimming in any river that is deep and open to the sea is a no no for me. Remember how the Zambezi shark got its name...

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Umkomaas is one of THE places to target Zambie's in KZN. Swimming in any river that is deep and open to the sea is a no no for me. Remember how the Zambezi shark got its name...
    I hear you, but for an aggressive shark (that the Zambezi definitely is) you hear of surprisingly few attacks on humans in rivers - or have I just developed the selective hearing loss that my wife suggests I may be suffering from?

Sweet

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    I hear you, but for an aggressive shark (that the Zambezi definitely is) you hear of surprisingly few attacks on humans in rivers - or have I just developed the selective hearing loss that my wife suggests I may be suffering from?

Sweet
    In rivers, no. However if you consider second beach, Port St.John's, which is just off the Umzimvubu (?) river mouth, there have been 4-5 shark attacks in the last 3 years, ALL of which were fatal and all are believed to have been a Zambie.

User

It's been confirmed that the shark was a Raggie.
    Dumb ass hooked it and grabbed it's tail.
    Don't know if he was oblivious to the fact that a Raggie can bite it's tail, or just over confident.
    Every year for the last 3 years over Jan/Feb, people have been killed by White Sharks in Port St Johns in the Transkei. Two were lifeguards who were swallowed whole.
    This year is was a 16 year old surfer who died from blood loss.
    Now the "people" are demanding that the Sharks be sorted out?
    Bit unfair seems as they were there first.....

Re: all the shark attacks off Port St John's being Zambezi's - I am not aware that this is fact. In one of the instances they thought that it was a tiger (although the attack on the same date has also be creditted to a bull/Zam), and in another two they thought that they were great whites.

I have heard that Zambezi's regularly buzz divers at Protea Banks (near Hibberdene, KZN).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast