Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Webley .455 mk III

Hi all

I just came across a beutifull Webley mkIII revolver (in .455) that was used iun the boer war by a memeber of my extended family's grandfather. She is now getting on in years and wants it to go to her nephew who is the last surviving male heir in that family line. He is in NewZealand and as far as I know is not a gun fanatic so in all likely hood he wont do anything with it.Or worse it'll get handed in and destroyed. Im not a colector myself, but would hate to see a piece of our heritage get wated. Im sure sending a revolver to the antipodes will be tricky. Im trying to convince her to let a collector here take it or at least give it over to a suitable museum. It seems in very good nick, in its original holster. I have only seen photo's at this point and will post them when I get e-mail copies of them. anyone here know if this rollie is of any historical value. I know that mkIV was very popular during the boer war and many were issued as were mark VI in the 1st war, but cant find much info on the MkIII, other than that it had an improved locking mechanism over MkII.

Default Re: Webley .455 mk III

Bushboy, as always, condition and originality is everything. Have sent PM.

Thanks WZ, got your PM.

User

Hey Steve,

Get hold of Peter Smith, he's a Webley "expert"... his number is generally always in the back of the Magnum in small ads section

Regards,
    Geoff

I can.t believe I am resurrecting a 10+ year old thread but I have pretty much the exact same question as the OP regarding the exact same revolver.

I have looked but cant seem to find any info on Peter Smith who is a collector. Would anyone have details for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    I have looked but cant seem to find any info on Peter Smith who is a collector. Would anyone have details for him?
    You called?

Peter

Off topic but I am still amazed at how the value of these items have increased in the last two years.

Hi Peter,

I have a Webley Revolver Mark VI 1917.

What sort of value do these guns have?

Thanks

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    You called?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Hi Peter, I have a Webley Revolver Mark VI 1917. What sort of value do these guns have? Thanks Stephen
    Sorry about the delay Stephen.

Classic Arms' last auction (in August) had two WW I Webley Mk VI for sale. Both had an estimated (by Classic) price of R 3500. However, they both sold for R 2500 (plus commission of course). Things change, because last year the estimates might have been a little on the low side!

Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    Sorry about the delay Stephen.

Classic Arms' last auction (in August) had two WW I Webley Mk VI for sale. Both had an estimated (by Classic) price of R 3500. However, they both sold for R 2500 (plus commission of course). Things change, because last year the estimates might have been a little on the low side!

Cheers
    Peter
    WOW, so not much value, unless you can sell it overseas. I see there they sell in the region of $2,000 - will a conversion to .45 drop the value much?

Thanks for your help!
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast