Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is gun control a dead issue? USA

Fewer seem to be in favor of more restrictive laws

Proposed legislation at the state capitol mirrors the national sentiment regarding firearms: Fewer people are in favor of passing stricter gun-control laws.

Of the 13 bills regarding firearms, eight would allow more leniency in gun laws. Rep. Casey Guernsey, R-Bethany, who co-sponsored a bill that would lower the concealed-carry age requirement from 23 to 21, said the number of bills this year are not disproportionate to those offered up in previous legislative sessions.

“We’ve seen a lot of Second-Amendment, rights-related legislation every year since I’ve been here,” he said.

More:http://www.newspressnow.com/localnew...89/detail.html
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Default Re: Is gun control a dead issue? USA

Would that we see that here!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    Fewer seem to be in favor of more restrictive laws

Proposed legislation at the state capitol mirrors the national sentiment regarding firearms: Fewer people are in favor of passing stricter gun-control laws.

Of the 13 bills regarding firearms, eight would allow more leniency in gun laws. Rep. Casey Guernsey, R-Bethany, who co-sponsored a bill that would lower the concealed-carry age requirement from 23 to 21, said the number of bills this year are not disproportionate to those offered up in previous legislative sessions.

“We’ve seen a lot of Second-Amendment, rights-related legislation every year since I’ve been here,” he said.

More:http://www.newspressnow.com/localnew...89/detail.html
    I see there is now also debate about allowing firearms on University campus'.

User

This is where we are at.

“I believe a majority of the statistics will show us those crimes (involving guns) were done by people who had them illegally,” she said. “Those are the ones who will always go around the system."

User
    North of Toronto, Ontario, Canada and also Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

One can't talk about gun control as one issue in The U.S.

In fact, for the most part, the fifty individual states have the power to make state-level gun laws under the umbrella of the federal Second Amendment. This means that there are wide individual differences among the states. Generally, the most restrictive gun laws are in the North East (NY, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Delaware, Maryland) Illinois, Hawaii and California. We expect Illinois and Wisconsin, the last two holdouts on CCW, to pass legislation soon to permit it .

How does this impact the gun owner? I possess two concealed carry licenses--from two states. They are accepted reciprocally in about 33 or 34 states. However, if I enter New York State with my handgun locked in the trunk, locked in a case, unloaded, ammo separate and locked, I have committed a presumptive felony and will face at least three years in a state penitentiary. But if I take one step into adjoining Pennsylvania or New Hampshire or Vermont, I can carry a handgun openly or concealed with no problem. If I happen to cross from Penn. into NJ, I'm a felon again.

So, when I travel through the U.S. I keep a 70 page book with me in the car to indicate the state gun laws to me as I enter a new state. I might be able to continue carrying, I might have to place it in the glove box, or I might have to pack it up. Or, I might have to avoid entering the state altogether.

So, while the states with the least restrictive gun laws----and the lowest rate of violent crime per 100,000, by the way--- are making the laws even less restrictive, the states with the most restrictive gun laws----and with the highest violent crime rates---want to make the gun laws even more restrictive.

Meanwhile, one billionaire named Michael Bloomberg, who also happens to be the mayor of New York City, is spending millions of his own money to tighten gun laws--with no effect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by V65Magnafan View Post
    One can't talk about gun control as one issue in The U.S.

Amen ............. Florida is known affectionately as the "Gunshine State" yet we have very limited open carry and have numerous "No Carry" locations. Expanding 2nd ammendment rights is a never ending battle and the only way to insure that the anti gunners don't increase their encroachment of our ability to own and use firearms.

We have several bills in the house trying to expand these rights as I type this.

http://www.floridacarry.org
    "There is no second place winner in a gunfight" - B Jordan

User

The "Gunshine State" has a few gun law oddities. They issue licenses to U.S. residents of other states. I'm a U.S. citizen currently residing out of the country. They will not issue me a license. Florida and other states recognize carry permits from other states only if the holder is a resident of that state. As stated, the laws are a confusing patchwork. Hopefully, these problems will be resolved. One idea is a federal law, currently working its way through Congress to create a federal full reciprocity--to encompass all states. But, you can bet that NYS will take that to the Supreme Court.

Still, this is a better system than what is in Canada. There, the gun laws are federal, but the administration is largely provincial. So, Ontario, which currently has an anti-gun government, is harrassing the heck out of legal gun owners while letting gun criminals off lightly.

So, Ontario, which currently has an anti-gun government, is harrassing the heck out of legal gun owners while letting gun criminals off lightly.
    Join the club. . .
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

The "Gunshine State" has a few gun law oddities. They issue licenses to U.S. residents of other states. I'm a U.S. citizen currently residing out of the country. They will not issue me a license. Florida and other states recognize carry permits from other states only if the holder is a resident of that state. As stated, the laws are a confusing patchwork. Hopefully, these problems will be resolved. One idea is a federal law, currently working its way through Congress to create a federal full reciprocity--to encompass all states. But, you can bet that NYS will take that to the Supreme Court.

Still, this is a better system than what is in Canada. There, the gun laws are federal, but the administration is largely provincial. So, Ontario, which currently has an anti-gun government, is harrassing the heck out of legal gun owners while letting gun criminals off lightly.
    If you're US Military we've got HB 499 before the House. It would allow out of country service personal to obtain and or renew their Florida Concealed weapons and firearms license.

GENERAL BILL by Drake (CO-SPONSORS) Caldwell; Kreegel; O'Toole

Concealed Weapons or Firearms: Provides that otherwise qualified members & veterans of U.S. Armed Forces be issued concealed weapon or firearm license regardless of age or U.S. residency in certain circumstances; provides additional methods for taking of fingerprints from such license applicants.
    "There is no second place winner in a gunfight" - B Jordan

User

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoG26 View Post
    Join the club. . .
    Yeah, the Wendy Club.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast