Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S&W mod 910 Help info needed

I founda S&W mod 910 the other day in a local Cape Town Gun shop.The odd thing is the frame is made of polymer. I have done some searches but only come up with info on Ali frame pistlos.It also looks like the sight are also made of polymer/plastic.
    They want 5 K for it.It is new but has been in storage for so long that the is a bit of rust on the cocking serrations.

I already have an SD gun (waiting for liecence) but want sport gun for IDPA.Can any one advise me

Default Re: S&W mod 910 Help info needed

Sure it's not a SIGMA?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

The sights are polymer but the frame on an original Model 910 / 915 (same gun just different magazine capacity) will be alloy. They are excellent basic pistols, especially at their price point in the states, but given that S&W has now discontinued their entire DA/SA pistol line and the fact that I cannot say what the parts availability in SA might be, I would be hesitant to spend a bunch on one.

Just me, but if I already had a SD gun I might look really hard at buying a duplicate model for a first sport gun before branching out.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Dam you boys are fast.
    No it not a Sigma it is double action ,with a hammer and and hamerdrop saftey.
    Ikor fair advice I am replacing my presant SD gun ( S & W mod 39 ) with an H&k uspc.I have carried the Smith for 20 years ansd shot the hell out of it.For an ali frame gun it done very well.MY thinking is to us the Smith pistol just because i am so used to the system
    The wierd thing is I went and had a look a it and it had a Poly frame, almost fell of the chair I was sitting on.I was wondering if smith had maybe done a run of 910/915 to cash in on the poly frame market. Will do some seaching and let you know what I find

Thanks

The one thing that serious S&W collectors will tell you is that you never, ever, bet good money that they did NOT make some non-standard variation or other of a certain gun. I suppose it is remotely possible that they may, indeed, have made such a bird and if it did not sell...or was perhaps an over run on a contract they had...shipped one or more to SA. Stranger things have happened.

If you look at it again see if you can scribble down the exact model and serial number and I can do some further checking. If it is genuine I would guess that while it might make a nice collector's gun it was not continued for a reason...possibly because it did not hold up to much shooting, or just as possibly because they realized the striker fired guns were the wave of the future for them.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Are you sure it's not a metal frame with one of the earlier polymer finishes on it? If it is indeed a polymer framed 'Skunk Works' gun it would probably be worth a bundle to collectors.

Chops!!! You're alive!!!

Thanks Ikor as always a logical answer.I am giong to pop in to the shop and check that piece a soon as I get a chance.I will then strip it and then have a look at the frame.Also i will look at the serail no.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Are you sure it's not a metal frame with one of the earlier polymer finishes on it? If it is indeed a polymer framed 'Skunk Works' gun it would probably be worth a bundle to collectors.
    Sounds like a poly frame coat to me but I could be wrong.

Admit it johnny99 you just want the 910 cause it'll fit in the sexy Multi-Carry holster we made for your old Mod 39 :D

Guys I am going to have to check this out maybe it is some funkcy poly coat besighied .To be honest i would prefer the 5906 because that fits those two holsters from the kydex cave that I own.In fact I think that smith were to cheap to round of the slide gracefully as they did with the older models.The 910 has a real blocky look much favoured by modern pistols.I am ken to know what you think of making a sheath for my spyderco chinook folder. I want to carry it as fixed blade withthe option of folding it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast