Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crossbow hunting

Crossbow hunting seems to be seen as cheating / unethical. Can someone tell me why? Also is it legal / ethical ?
    Note that this question is purely out of curiosity, I have no interest in trying it.

User

Default Re: Crossbow hunting

I'm not into bow hunting, prefer the recoil and the loud bang. If we really want to go challenging and primitive, back to our 'roots' so to speak, why not take up spear hunting? A nice balanced carbon fiber spear with a handcrafted damascus tip. Shaft finished in Realtree cammo..... That should take walk-and-stalk to an entire new dimension.

Interesting question though. I can not really see the difference between hunting with either.

User

According to the Greengazette, it is not legal to hunt with a Crossbow... (Amongst others, no more .243 hunting on a Blesbuck for example!)

http://www.greengazette.co.za/docs/2...lume%20534.pdf

User

One thing to remember is that if you have a 70pound draw bow (Compound) & a 70pound draw crossbow (heavens forbid), the compound bow is going to deliver more energy than the crossbow. The reason is in the different draw lengths. The draw length is how far you pull the bow string back, and for a compound/longbow/recurve bowyer this can vary between 28 - 33 inches.As the arrow is released, energy is transferred to the arrow from the bowstring/cam system and the longer the draw, the more energy is transferred. A crossbow is drawn back maybe 12 inches, so less energy can be transferred to the arrow (or bolt in this case), so the poundage if a crossbow is usually much higher to compensate for the shorter draw length.
    Bowyers seem to look down their noses at crossbow shooters, because it seems "just too easy" to master a crossbow.
    I've seen a video where a crossbow has been used to down an elephant, so it can be done.
    Don't know what the legal standing on crossbow hunting is today though.

User

Cross bows are highly effective used out of a hide.These things have 150# plus draw weights.I personally don't use them because I prefer my recurve and longbows.I do not know why the compound okes don't like them...maybe because they are bulky or have telescopes?But then again...compound bows have sights...longbows/recurves do not have either.It's all a matter of preference.Why they are illegal to hunt with I really do not know.
    Last edited by G-force; 24-03-2011 at 09:49. Reason: spelling

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie View Post
    According to the Greengazette, it is not legal to hunt with a Crossbow... (Amongst others, no more .243 hunting on a Blesbuck for example!)

http://www.greengazette.co.za/docs/2...lume%20534.pdf

I see that the content of the document in the link above is only draft legislation. Any idea if this has become law in the meantime or is it still in the drafting process.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

70pound draw crossbow (heavens forbid),
    As stated most cross bows are in the 150lb draw weight category ... the speed and energy generated by both crossbow and compound bow is very similar ... but then an arrow kills through cutting action resulting in hemmorage and not through energy transfer.

The impression that archers in general look down on cross bow users is untrue and a false perception.

I see that the content of the document in the link above is only draft legislation. Any idea if this has become law in the meantime or is it still in the drafting process.
    Hopefully this silly piece of legislation will never see the light of day when it is promulgated into law.

At the moment huntingwith cross bows are subject to similar requirements as that for the use of other archery gear ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    but then an arrow kills through cutting action resulting in hemmorage and not through energy transfer.
    Optimistix, we agree on the mechanics of killing, but you need a minimum energy in the arrow/bolt to penetrate to the vitals to cause the necessary bleeding, especially if the arrow/bolt had a non cutting tip on the broadhead.
    My statement comparing crossbow & compound/long/recurve bow in similar draw weight class was to illustrate the difference in energy/velocity between similar draw weight systems.
    Most serious hunters would get the correct poundage crossbow, but imagine ol' Joe with the crossbow he got for Christmas years ago (Micky mouse affair) going hunting with it just because he heard his neighbor had done so with his compound bow and the draw weights were the same, so he figures "If he can, so can I!"

but imagine ol' Joe with the crossbow he got for Christmas years ago (Micky mouse affair) going hunting with it just because he heard his neighbor had done so with his compound bow and the draw weights were the same, so he figures "If he can, so can I!"
    Unfortunately this is a problem for most hunting situations, and it seems, these days for bow/crossbow hunters ...

User

I know this is an old post, but has there been any changes in attitudes or legalities regarding this? I've seen some ads lately for hunting crossbows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast