Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Norinco ?

Default Norinco ?

Saw this the other day. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ELKHART -- The gun that accidentally fired last month, resulting in the death of a 7-year-old Goshen girl, had a functional defect that allowed it to fire without pressing the trigger if force was applied to the hammer, regardless of whether the safety was engaged.
    Hill also said no charges would be filed against Jay Byler, Karlee Byler’s father. Karlee died Feb. 25 when her father’s gun fell out of his coat pocket and accidentally went off, hitting her in the head.
    Hill identified the father’s firearm as a Norinco semi-automatic handgun.
    According to Brad Rupert, a gun expert and general manager of Midwest Gun Exchange, a Norinco is a Chinese-made gun. Because guns from China are not allowed to be imported into the United States, many Norinco guns are older relics, he said.
    "I would say a lot of the older firearms such as that ... a lot of the older military handguns really weren't designed for everyday carry by civilians," Rupert said.
    According to Hill, Byler's gun didn't have a firing pin block, a safety mechanism that would prevent a gun from firing until the trigger was pulled. Most modern guns have this safety feature built in.
    "My suggestion would be if you are going to carry a firearm, carry one with modern safety devices, including a firing pin block or a transfer pin for revolvers,” Rupert said. “It would keep it from firing if dropped.”
    Hill said that after reviewing all the facts of this case we concur that the incident that took the life of Karlee Byler was a tragic accident. He added that the accident was an ill-fated event that will have an effect on the Byler family for the rest of their lives.
    “As American citizens we know we have the right to bear arms; however, we need to do so responsibly,” Hill said. “If you are determined to maintain or purchase a firearm, we encourage you to do proper research on the firearm that best suits your particular need and examine any safety concerns that may be associated with a particular firearm.”
    Karlee was a first-grader at West Goshen Elementary School.
    Monica Chupp, a spokeswoman for the family, said after the accident that no one loved their kids more than Jay Byler

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...,4529305.story
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Default Re: Norinco ?

But if it had a manual safety none of that is possible. "sarcasm off"

Hehehehe! BigT strikes back :D

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    But if it had a manual safety none of that is possible. "sarcasm off"
    If it was a safe action pistol it would have gone off in mid air

User

A 1911 without a firing pin block/stop will in all probability discharge if dropped and it lands in such a position that inertia propels the firing pin forward. The drop safety of a 1911 without a firing pin block can be increased by using an extra strength firing pin spring but it still is not 100% drop safe.

Imo not all modern handguns have firing pin blocks - there are numerous custom and production 1911 pistols, other than Norinco, without firing pin blocks.

A striker fired pistol with a firing pin block (like the Glock and M&P - I mention only these 2 for no other reason than they fall within my personal experience and knowledge base) can not discharge when dropped if in original condition of manufacturing.
    Last edited by DS; 25-03-2011 at 09:32.

User

It would be nice to know which model Norinco it was and in what condition it was being carried. Without knowing this it is pointless to comment on why it fired when it was dropped. The only thing we know for sure is that it had a round in the chamber.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

from experience while handling a domestic situation about 3 years ago. We managed to get the suspect down and found a norinco NZ85B on him. I removed the firearm prepared to make it safe while pointing downwards to the ground about 6m away from everyone dropped the mag pulled the slide back and before it could eject i noticed a round stuck in it so brought the slide forward to start clearing again same story and by now i am worried when i put my hand on the slide again the firearm discharged.

Anyways the case remained in the firearm. managed to get it out took it for SAP 13 booking while there a mate from the local gun shop was around he took one look at it and said this thing is deadly they have a lot of hammer drops while racking the slide.

His reason neglect care.
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

User

IMO just a handling/gear safety issue in the OP. You carry your .45 in your coat pocket? Well, then you're looking for trouble...

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    IMO just a handling/gear safety issue in the OP. You carry your .45 in your coat pocket? Well, then you're looking for trouble...
    Who said it was a .45? The article does not. It may have been a Tokarev copy in 7.62 or 9mm. Or a CZ copy in 9mm. Maybe it was a 1911 copy in .45, who knows. Norinco have copied several designs.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    Who said it was a .45? The article does not. It may have been a Tokarev copy in 7.62 or 9mm. Or a CZ copy in 9mm. Maybe it was a 1911 copy in .45, who knows. Norinco have copied several designs.

Sean.
    Ahhhh. Oops !

My bad, sorry Sean. Assumption being the mother and all that... .

I still don't think a coat pocket is a very good place to carry any firearm though, especially with one up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast