Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Advice on choosing a pump action

SSP thanks. It makes one wonder, in reference to all the 870 that are shooting a lot and running extremely will with the US LE's etc, if the 870's in question were in any way modified or worked on? the widely trustworthy reputation of the 870 just does not tally with this batch of guns.

I would hazard a guess for the origin of the problems to be non spec or severely abused mag tube springs. ???

Well, not having seen or handled the guns at issue here I certainly cannot say, but I do know that Howa made a near clone of the 870 that was later sold by S&W for a while. The originals seemed to work fairly well but the later S&W guns do not have a good reputation. The Chinese also still build an 870 clone that is widely available in Canada. These seem to work well for a while and then start giving problems. I have never dealt with any of these Chinese clones but I have had the distinctly unpleasant experience of using their Ithaca M37 clone for a class in SA and those things were just slightly better than scrap iron!

I agree that springs might well have been one culprit with the shotguns mentioned, but I have never seen a pin completely walk out of an 870 in several decades of use and training. Curious.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Guns were not clones but express models. They were not modified but had suffered standard security guard abuse. The same companies winchester and muslers shotguns had suffered the same abuse but still functioned. I realise this is a small sample but it has coloured my opinion.

User

It might well be that the 870's you refer to did not work and the Mossbergs etc did but there is no way to know if the 870's were not substantially older than the others or if they have been modified ito springs etc or what have been done to them. All is not not known

Imo it just does not gel - thousands of well running 870's in the US and a lot in SA and elsewhere and 8 guns with a security company that has everything going wrong with them that one can think of.

I'd rather base my decision on purchase on opinions and on the ground reports from industry professionals in the US than with 8 guns with a security company and I am not restricting this to any one type of firearm.

Deciding not to buy a 870 because of 8 fu'd guns with a security company is anyone's right but I would think somewhat short sighted - I am not criticising your decision that you do not trust/like the 870 just that I have come to know you guys as rather objective and informed and being dissuaded by your experience and the circumstances relating thereto seems somewhat nonobjective to me.

Ill keep my Defender thanks.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

8)

User

hjk lmao.

User

??? No it's not a hjk.

Still on topic iro advice of which pump action - there were posts why not 870 as part of advice and there posts answering/discussing that.

User

Just busting your guys balls a bit guys. IMHO a 870 Remmy is the sh1t baby. A buddy of mine's got 1 & if he hasn't broken it in the past 13 years that he has it, then they a built like a rock, damn those suckers are strong. The abuse we put that shotty through was almost sinful. grn1 grn1 grn1

User

Ok hpy180

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast