User

Default Motivation and Race

OK, I honestly don't really know how to best phrase this, and I don't want to offend anyone, so here goes:

Has anyone ever used the fact that they are a particular race in their motivation? Here is my scenario:

I am working on my motivation for my SD firearm, and one of the primary motivations has to do with my traveling to and from work. This includes me traveling through a black suburb on a daily basis, all hours of the day, on a shitty road. I am usually the only "whitey" around at any given time, and I have had numerous verbal threats and gestures thrown my way (not to mention the occasional half-brick) by the local folks. This is an honest concern on my part. I have raised this with my employer who replied that they cannot help me (I will be including this in my motivation as well).

Now, do I raise this in my motivation that I am worried about being a lonely paleface in a black neighborhood and risk *possibly* sounding/looking like somewhat of a racist (because let's be honest, I don't know what kind of person reads my motivation), or do I exclude it?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Motivatioin and Race

Instead of using race in your application rather name the area and provide proof that it is a risky area. Also mention that the residents in said area have been openly hostile towards you. Let them draw their own conclusions. Making it a race issue will count against you.

Eish. That is a very tricky thing and if not handled just right could be taken in a very wrong way. I suppose this could come right down to who is reading it and what their own personal views are of what's written. Not very useful advice but if you do want to use something of this nature I would tread lightly and carefully. Personally I would rather maKe use of crime stats and such to prove my point. Why chance it when it's already a touchy subject.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 09-04-2011 at 20:20.

Been threated more than once , is a strong motivation. Leave race out of it totally.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Thanks guys. I will be sure to phrase my motivation accordingly.

User

hehehe, going to hand in my comp forms and everything on Monday.... going to check the DFO's (pretty cool lady) reaction: "ek kort 'n license, ek's 'n whitey" :D
    hehehe

using it on a serious note.... is just a barrel of trouble. you'd have to prove all other races are racist and hate you, etc etc.
    look at that guy that looked for asylum (in canada? and was approved) because he was robbed/assaulted so many times in SA.
    SA govt had a shitfit.

same thing with your license. bringing race into it, ESPECIALLY if you're white..... is just going to torpedo yourself.

User

+1 to all the above.

User

I see your point and yes, it's probably a valid one. But don't use it....unfortunately it's not "politically correct" and you may just end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Yeah rather work on dangerous area instead of mentioning color

Default Re: Motivation and Race

I agree with everyone else. Leave race out of it and instead use crime as the motivation.

I used similar scenarios as part of my SD motivation. I supplied the routes I use to travel to work and then used the crime stats for the more dangerous areas in my motivation. Find out under which SAPS precinct the area falls and draw the stats from the SAPS website.

In my opinion you should not just attach the crime stats to your motivation but interpret the specific stats you are referring too in your motivation. If you are using the hi-jacking stats refer to the fact that the hi-jacking stats for X-precinct has risen by 20% from 2009 - 2010 and that you are afraid of being hi-jacked while driving through that area. Then also include media references to hi-jackings in that area as further proof of the high risk of being hi-jacked in the area.

On your point about being threatened, it can be a very good motivating factor, provided that you can prove it. Did you report the threats to the SAPS or other law enforcement? Did you open a case of intimidation?

I am not saying you should not use the threats in your motivation but just think very carefully before making statements in your motivation that you cannot provide proof/evidence for. You are likely to get the following type of feedback: "License for SD denied because the applicant did not provide sufficient evidence to prove that he was threatened"