User

Default Double barrel 410 shotgun pistol

I previously posted this but under the incorrect section.
    I own a double barrel shotgun with pistol grip. Barrel 10 inch. There are no clear markings and I am keen to establish the name of the mnfr, possible date of mnfr and for that matter a value for this pistol. The only markings are "410 50" within an oval stamp, a "M" and an arrow sign as well as a 4 & a 2 stamped on two places. It could be a gun made by The Modern Arms Co in London. They apparently operated about 1923 -1942 and later a company by the same name operated in Kent until 1957. Could be that the "M" relates to "Modern". Would welcome input
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Double barrel 410 shotgun pistol

I have the exact same pistol. I inherited it about 50 years ago, along with a box of cartridges about 3/4 full. These are marked .44 XL and have folded paper shot container instead of a bullet. I have been told that a cartridge like this was used in the Marble's GameGetter folding shotgun. I found a website on which a full box was listed at $295.00. The proof marks on each barrel appear to be Belgian. I took it to a local gun show last weekend and could find no one that could give me any answers but all said if I wanted to sell it, contact them. Makes me wonder why they would want to buy if they knew nothing about the gun. If you want to talk, let me know.

User

Red face Re: Double barrel 410 shotgun pistol

I am reopening this dormant thread.
    Other than the post from 'oldpeler' (thanks) I have only come across a photo of what is seemingly an exact same pistol placed on the fourten.org.uk forum by a gentleman in USA. Unfortunately no contact details. He refers to it as a"Tukaway". Thus being a pistol that you could tuck away in your travel bag. My earlier lead that its origin is British comes from someone in UK who also referred to his pistol as a Tukaway (Tuckaway). However he has not provided a photo and from his description his pistol sounds slightly different (grip/barrel). So, is my pistol perhaps of Belgium origin as 'oldpeler' mentions?
    The pistol came into my direct family about 1968 out of the estate of an indirect family member. The latter was a well travelled business executive and the best assumption is he brought the pistol into the country probably post WWII. But I am trying to establish whether this is the only one in SA, can it be regarded as a collectors item and does it have any value?

User

Kloppie, I know nothing of your pistol or anything even vaguely related to it.

It seems mighty interesting though, and in quite good condition.

In my layman's opinion the mere fact that it is seemingly so scarce should significantly add to it's value.

Have you fired it?

I hope you get some answers soon.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

If you are really interested. Take it apart, take good photos of all the markings and the pistol. Then send it to "www.littleguns.be". They are connected to a research group knowledgeable about Belgian gunmakers.