Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Does "Covered" imply "Concealed"?

I read about the Firearms Act requiring that when a firearm is carried on a person it should be "covered" - does this imply "concelament" in the technical sense of the word or could the two terms be understood differently given the context of the act?

Default Re: Does "Covered" imply "Concealed"?

If I understand your question correctly your weapon should be carried so its not seen ie concealed carry, tucked under a shirt, jacket etc. Not necessarily in a holster that has a flap or bag, though you need to carry your rifle covered in a bag. Carry you gun so its not obvious as a) it retains the element of surprise b) you not a target for a snatch and grab c) it just freaks some immature people out and we dont need the attention

Confront a Legal Eagle and they will tell you that you have to apply the normal meaning of the word when interpreting an Act. If you "cover" your rifle if a rifle bag any normal relative educated person can still identify it as a firearm. If you get up in the morning and get dressed and walk out, you "covered" your body clothes but you can still see a "body"!

I do not think that in correct legal interpretation the Act actually "means" that a firearm must be "concealed" with all the "pros" and "cons" associated with proper "concealment".

Yes I agree that proper "concealment" should be the way to go with especially "handguns" carried but I think the way the act is structured there is quite a bit of leeway regarding this issue. So although I would not do it, but if you were to decide to wear a tight fitting t-shirt to reveal all your flabby muscles and it perfectly shows the profile of you '44 Magnum" at your side...you would be a idiot but not on the wrong side of the law!

My opinion and I can be wrong. I would however hope that my interpretation is correct as if it were to mean real concealment and your handgun should show by "accident"...you could be in the "soft brown smelly stuff". If memory serves me right, there was a case in the USA where a person was carrying legally with a CCW permit where they need to have concealment in the genuine sense of the word. This bloke wore a blazer and it got "swept open", a woman saw it, she went into panic, alerted the cops and this bloke was in the "soft brown smelly stuff".

(2) A firearm contemplated in subsection (1) must be completely covered and the
    person carrying the firearm must be able to exercise effective control over such firearm.

Don't find BS for us where there is none. It does not say concealed and one could argue that a holster on you hip which totally covers the firearm by means of a flap, is well within the law.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

I agree with FrankH.

User

FrankH, what exactly do you mean with "Don't find BS for us where there is none..."? I thought this was a forum where like-minded people could converse about topics associated with the concept of Firearms etc. I find your input a bit abrasive chap.

No need to get your panties in a knot WW , yes debate is the point of the forum, somehow thought thats what I was engaged in,but hey, Ive been wrong before. BTW,I wasn't referring to anyone in particular.

The point is, why rock the boat on try to read to much into it, when the act is clear?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    No need to get your panties in a knot WW , yes debate is the point of the forum, somehow thought thats what I was engaged in,but hey, Ive been wrong before. BTW,I wasn't referring to anyone in particular.

The point is, why rock the boat on try to read to much into it, when the act is clear?
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
    I read about the Firearms Act requiring that when a firearm is carried on a person it should be "covered" - does this imply "concelament" in the technical sense of the word or could the two terms be understood differently given the context of the act?
    Covered is covered and concealed is concealed. They are two different things. If your wife is DD she can cover it but she cannot conceal it can she? In the same way, I challenge you to carry something like a Browning Automatic Rifle M1918 in a way that it is concealed (as opposed to covered).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Covered is covered and concealed is concealed. They are two different things. If your wife is DD she can cover it but she cannot conceal it can she? In the same way, I challenge you to carry something like a Browning Automatic Rifle M1918 in a way that it is concealed (as opposed to covered).
    hahaha.DD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast