Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Doctor gets bail after guns charge - 1941 Different types of ammo...

2011-05-04 18:16

Mookgophong - A doctor and a farm manager accused of keeping unlicensed hunting rifles and 1 941 different types of ammunition were released on R5 000 bail each when they appeared in a Limpopo court.

Dr Walter Ward, 65, founder of the Medicross group, and Saki Kekana, 40, were not asked to plead to charges of possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition when they appeared in the Naboomspruit magistrate's court on Tuesday.

"The state had proposed bail of R25 000 for each of the accused, but the court reduced it to R5 000 each on condition that Kekana report to the Naboomspruit police station every Saturday at six o'clock in the morning and in the evening," provincial police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mohale Ramatseba told African Eye News Service on Wednesday.

Ramatseba said the court ordered Ward to report either at the Linden or the Naboomspruit police station every three weeks.

Ward and Kekana were arrested at Lleweni Game Farm in Mookgophong on Saturday morning following a tip-off from the community.

"The police's organised crime and intelligence units followed on information and pounced on the doctor’s farm house in the early hours of Saturday.

"After searching the house, police confiscated nine hunting rifles, one pistol and 1 941 different kinds of ammunition," he said.

Ramatseba said all the firearms had been taken for ballistic tests to determine if they were linked to any offences.

He rubbished a mainstream newspaper report that Ward was arrested despite showing the police documentation that he had applied for lawful firearm licences and was still waiting for feedback from police.

"That is not an issue. For example, if a person without a driver's licence buys a car and they get caught while driving it, will they not be charged for driving without a license?" said Ramatseba.

"The suspect cannot tell the arresting officer he is busy applying for the firearm licences while being in possession of the firearms and ammunition. That is totally unacceptable.”

Ward and Kekana are expected to appear again on July 17 while police investigations continue.

Meanwhile, Ramatseba said police were looking for suspects who killed a rhino and her calf, both of which were found at Ward's farm over the weekend.

"Both Ward and Kekana are not linked to this case,” he said. “The rhino were found shot and their horns had been cut off. The four-month-old calf was found with its toenails removed," said Ramatseba.

- African Eye

User

Default Re: Doctor gets bail after guns charge - 1941 Different types of ammo...

is it possible it was a cartridge collection of some sorts?

User

Default Re: Doctor gets bail after guns charge - 1941 Different types of ammo...

So they get arrested after tip off on Saturday morning, and rhino and calf killed over the same weekend?

User

So there's 2 dead rhino's on Ward's farm, yet, he gets arrested for unlawfull firearms...

Must be the poachers that made the tip-off. But 1941 different types of ammo...!!!

User

I think it is again a case of misreporting, meaning that it was 1941 rounds of ammunition. For 9 rifles and 1 pistol it will sound right because you can have 200 rounds for each firearm 9x 200 = 1800 rounds + 200 for the pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 8x60s View Post
    I think it is again a case of misreporting, meaning that it was 1941 rounds of ammunition. For 9 rifles and 1 pistol it will sound right because you can have 200 rounds for each firearm 9x 200 = 1800 rounds + 200 for the pistol
    I agree with you.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

Banned

Dr Ward is a dedicated hunter and can have as many rounds as what he feels is necessary.

What worries me is that the policeman does not even know that the old licences are still valid till a decision has been taken on his re-application (SA Hunters won court case against SAP) This shows the ignorance of the senior police personnel and lets him make the silly statement that he did make. Dr Ward might have a valid case of wrongful arrest.

Driepoot

User

Hmmmmmm....

Apparently the cops at first refused to release the doctor after bail was granted (even after being phoned by the judge) and he was only released after a Brig. Nelson Mabotja form the Organised Crime Unit (?) had seen the order and added a note raising the bail from R5000 (as ordered by the court) to R25000.

What is it with our cops insisting that they have more authority than the courts?

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuu...ersin-20110504

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Dr Ward is most probably innocent. We will find out. What concerns me is the newspaper and audiovisual reporting. This is to them much more of interest than the losing of numerous R4/5's and Z88's from police. It is not assault rifles you journalist idiots. I have never heard of hunting rifles in In Transito robberies and House attacks. The police must stop their witch hunts for crap. Is the Dr a dedicated criminal? To do an enquiry or house inspection with prior arrangement etc is lawfull. But they just want to arrest anybody for anything they can think about. One of my cows jumped a well cept stockfence the other day and was run over by a car. The junior Policeman just jumped around and wanted to lay a charge of negligence against me. And he was quite aggresive about it. I have insurance for such happenings and am really releived that nobody got hurt, but this is there way these days. Just wanting to charge and arrest, but they don't have no clue of the laws.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

As I have said before on the other thread about this incident... it is thought that the rhino's were poached with the rifles that the police confiscated from the good doctor... and that the only reason for the arrest was to clear the way for the 'poachers' to get at the rhinos (which had been dehorned last year already) to dig out the roots of the horns.

This story has a way to go yet. The farmer/doctor is 'de moer in' and has resources to make this a fight of note. Hold onto your hats this is gonna get wild!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast