Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default EDC: the responsibility and mentality

Before joining this site a few weeks ago I considered myself quite a safety conscious person. After reading some of the 'home defence' and 'this is the crime I witnessed' threads on this site I realized how very prepared some people are to react in a hostile situation.

I find it very unfortunate that in South Africa your awareness of crime can detract from your quality of life. You can't walk down the main road at 23:00, you got to check the security gates before bed and you got to watch for the idiot wanting to smash your cars windows.

I only recently (after turning 21) applied for my competency (handgun&rifle) and, being a safety conscious person, always thought that one day I would carry everyday. I am lucky enough to have been exposed to fire-arms by my dad since a young age.

Over the past few weeks though I've become more and more aware of how big a responsibility it is to EDC. The general public blindly accepts that the police men carry and blindly trust their judgment, but often when they hear average-joe carries his sidearm everyday they frown. Also, when you carry, are you psychologically able to do what you have (hopefully) trained for, or are your palms going to get sweaty and your little p-shooter get taken from you by the BG.

When, heaven forbid, that time comes when one (correctly) identifies a hostile scene and (make the conscious decision to) draw your gun, I believe the best physiological state of mind you can be in is one of: "two-holes-in-all-the-brown-cardboard-non-in-the-white". You have to literally see those hexagonal boards and take just a fraction off time to consider the effectiveness of your shots.

When your family is behind you I think this train of though will take over more naturally than when something is happening that is not a direct threat to you (in which case drawing at all becomes a difficult decision).

All things considered, I am very far from carrying every day. Because I have realised what a huge responsibility it is and the importance of training (physically & mentally) I will not be carrying anytime soon. Once I know a gun intimately and trust it and once I know how to use it and trust myself, I will not carry (this will happen before I have a family of my own). I wonder how many idiots out there carry irresponsibly.

By the way, I delight in anyone reading this that can effectively and responsibly “sort out” a hostile situation with their EDC tool; I am not anti (responsible) EDC.

So, what is the best physiological state to be in when drawing your sword? Just see those cardboards?

User

I don't think anybody can comment on how they will react in a situation until they have actually done so. I agree that training plays as big a role in this as a proper mindset, and when the time comes where you do need to protect your life and that of your family, that you are able to do so effectively and with confidently.

At the end of the day it is a matter of you or him, about neutralizing the guy who is trying to neutralize you, and about surviving.

User

Default Re: EDC: the responsibility and mentality

You only have one life and one family. Either you're willing to do what is necessary to defend them or you're not. First time I had to look down the barrel of someones gun I was 17, working nights by myself at a full serve gas station. Four urban youths walked into the station and one pulled a revolver, I stepped into the doorway of the back room and grabbed my 20 gauge (being young and dumb) I didn't shoot him, I took his gun and held him at gun point for the police while his three friends hauled ass for the hills.

After a stint with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I did a few years in LE and have never been unarmed in the decades since. Do everything you must to properly arm yourself and take all the training you can get NOW because life isn't going to wait untll you think you're ready.
    "There is no second place winner in a gunfight" - B Jordan

Carrying EDC is a choice that needs to be taken seriously. With it comes a lot of responsibility. You have to be prepared mentally for what could happen but every situation is differeent and even if you have been in one specific incident...there is no guarantee how you will react in a next incident. My G17 is very "safe shy" and I made that choice to carry EDC. I hope that I will never have to pull that trigger but I do believe that I am reddy and prepared to pull that trigger when the situation presents itself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    You only have one life and one family. Either you're willing to do what is necessary to defend them or you're not. First time I had to look down the barrel of someones gun I was 17, working nights by myself at a full serve gas station. Four urban youths walked into the station and one pulled a revolver, I stepped into the doorway of the back room and grabbed my 20 gauge (being young and dumb) I didn't shoot him, I took his gun and held him at gun point for the police while his three friends hauled ass for the hills.

After a stint with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I did a few years in LE and have never been unarmed in the decades since. Do everything you must to properly arm yourself and take all the training you can get NOW because life isn't going to wait untll you think you're ready.
    +1 SGB. Well said.

User

SideArm66, IMHO the mere fact that you are thinking so hard about this has put you a long way ahead ITO preparedness for EDC than many others.

User

To even start to think about self protection, and the responsibility to protect your loved ones are a huge step ahead to something in comparison to a big majority of people that are ignorant to the realism of the value of a South African's life.

Agree with JS4!

User

It's good that your thinking about it. But don't overthink either.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    You only have one life and one family. Either you're willing to do what is necessary to defend them or you're not.
    ^^This. Your firearm is just a tool. Learn to use and carry it effectively so that you don't have to bite your attackers face off.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

I would also say that carrying a gun does not obligate you to respond to every situation you come across. Your responsibility is with your own safety and that of your family. If you are uncomfortable with a situation, and can get out, that would be your call. If you are uncomfortable with a shot, don't take it.

How have you responded in bad situations before? Do you panic and freak out or do you have a cool head and break the problem down? Chances are you will still respond the same way when you are armed. A firearm just gives you options that were previously unavailable.

Just my humble opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast