Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Pigeon hunt may be illegal - NSPCA

hehe We shot 40 plus last weekend at a Mill close to me..with air-guns only.

User

Unfortunately it's illegal to hunt idiots...

Bull....

User

I will not even comment on the heading of the article, well I actually can't help myself, utter BS, if all the paperwork is in order.

I do not for one second believe that SAHunters are condemning pigeon shooting, generating income or raising funds out of it or community shoots, what they are condemning is the awarding of prizes for shooting, and in this case for shooting in volumes(this is where the legality may start to come into question). They have my support, and to be honest none of the community shoots need to give out prizes to attract a good attendance, the hospitality that we receive from the farmers and the privileged to walk onto someone's property and shoot gamebirds is all the encouragement that most wingshooters will need to attend. Take whatever sponsors donate to you and auction it up at the end of the day(more fundraising) if you feel like you want to give something back to your supporters, give everybody a unique number on registration and get the local beauty queen to draw the winner and award the prize.

I know the benefits of harvesting excess stock in a stable ecosystem and fully support shooters(hell I am one of them) helping to control a population once it gets out of control, because of artificial habitat and food supplies in excess. This is what makes SA one of the Meccas in the wingshooting world.

I also know that the farmers are sometimes in dire straights, because they are losing money on a daily basis. One farm we shot on two seasons ago had an estimated 50 000 doves and pigeons feeding on the sorghum, the farmer was losing a ton a day at the peak. We did our best we went there 4 times a week, but his losses were still astronomical over the two months prior to harvest. But he still ended up making a profit, not as much as he would have liked, but still.

I also know that our insistence as a society that farmers farm more eco-friendly has also had a positive effect on the numbers of gamebirds in SA, and for that I for one thank the farmers, and I will continue to shoot birds for as long as I am able to and it is legal to do so.

I also know that in most cases anti-hunters are also animal rightists, that would sooner have all the consumptive use of animals by humans abolished, some of them would also see a complete stop of any and all uses of animals by humans, even as pets. I know that I cannot debate with these people, and they probably would not want to get into a debate with me in any case.

I can have a debate with a non-hunter and in most cases convince them that hunting is acceptable for sustainable utilisation of our natural resources and pest control within ethical boundaries, based on respect for life, the environment and your fellow man, and obviously within the law.

I also know that the animal rightists are always on the troll for ammunition to turn the non-hunting public into anti-hunters, therefore my actions at all times should be such that no matter who bears witness, those actions are such that it does not do their job for them. This negative publicity, which was very easy to avoid, have definitely turned a whole lot of uninformed non's into anti's.

Now lets hope that we do not have anther knee-jerk reaction with the resultant over regulation, when some common sense from all sides could save us the trouble.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    What is the difference if they are doing it as part of an organised event or on their own.
    Publicity.

Once again allows idiots the opportunity to play on the emotions of people. Facts are, unfortunately, irrelevant.

User

I don't get why these people suddenly have a problem with "the circle of life" when it comes to humans eating animals. Every other predator they have no problem with. I don't blame a lion for trying to eat me if it got a chance to.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Barnard View Post
    Of the three components, the farmers are the most endangered at the moment. They are endangered by the pigeons eating into their profit, land claims, high production costs, farm attacks, and many more.
    Well said Willie. Next thing they will want to stop the farmer from protecting his crop.... why does the whole Jackal debacle suddenly come to mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    I think I will go pigeon shooting this weekend. I did not have plans and was at a loss of what to do this weekend. Thanks to the NSPCA for helping me to come to this decision.

Sean.
    That's the spirit, Murphy!

I burn at least one huge truck tyre each Earth Day myself!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Can anyone confirm an offical SPCA repsonse ? Recently the SPCA was drawn into a slanging match in the press with regards traditional slaughters at parties in the suburbs. They were accused of being racist. When the eventually responded they said all they asking is for the slaughters to be done humanely - with a sharp knife by a trained person, use a ramp to walk the cow off the bakkie so it doesn't get pulled off and break both its legs etc etc.
    Was this a typical press response or official response ? I can guarantee Birdlife SA would encourage eliminating pigoens (assuming they're feral pigeons). They encourage wing shooting.

In fact - no one here may no this but guinea fowl were extinct in Natal untill wing shooting started there. Farmers consulted with ornithologiosts (including Birdlife SA) on how to encourage guinea fowl - they pulled up there crops, planted the right trees etc etc. Theres now plenty guineas in Natal.

No matter how hard we rave, the media is ALWAYS on the side of the "poor helpless little birdies" eating up the big bad farmers' crops... Remember, we are the bad guys in this scenario...
    We DO NOT shoot into a flock of bewildered birds with a shotgun with "15 pellets" inside each shell (Hahaha) wounding more birds than we mindlessly slaughter. - That would just be stupid.
    And dragging poor innocent kids into it - no, we should definately not teach our children about gun safety and responsability....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast