Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Paintball marker instead of 9mm :(

There have been some crime lately(last 6 months or so in Centurion Highveld) around us, house break ins, and some cars broken into etc. So I have been thinking of getting a gun for home protection for a while now. Busy building a new place, and I especially would feel safer for when we move there, new estate, still lots of building happening, so lots of guys walking around etc. Problem is, my wife HATES guns, there is just no way around it, and I doubt I will get a license before we move (5 months). So with perimiter alarms, sensor lights, and a gate in the house I thought as a last resort a paintball marker with pepperballs in might not be a last line of defense. I suppose it's better than nothing. What do you guys think?

User

Default Re: Paintball marker instead of 9mm :(

I'd get a new wife.
    Paintball gun against an attackers 9mm?No way.When these chaps come at you fuelled by adrenalin and who knows what else a little pepper ball will just add to his aggression not stop it.
    EDUCATE your wife.Take her to a range or an IDPA shoot or something.Show her the terrible pics of how criminals torture,rape,kill innocent men,women and sadly children.
    Get a gun.

User

Paintball guns are for playing paintball.

With the pepperballs, sure, they *could* serve a more meaningful purpose, but I wouldn't bet my life or that of my family on them.

Get a gun. Your missus will get over it. Yes, it will be a wait, but each day you delay, is one day longer it's going to take.
    Check there was a thread about one of the members who has a GF that wasn;t too into the gun thing as well, if I recall. Some good information and arguments there.

User

Bad idea.

Very bad idea.

My wife was totally not into it. She got over it and now supports it. Dont irretate her with it. Just slowly get her used to it. Pretty soon she'll ask you. "are you packing"
    MOLON LABE

User

People who hate guns tend to change their minds pretty quickly once they visit the range. Hey those things don't shoot themselves!

Suggest arranging a visit with a friend or someone. Take it slow, maybe a .22 if they have one. Let the wife see that they are not evil. Also give her the facts on how guns are used to prevent crime and loss of life.

Check out www.gunfacts.info. Lots of stats etc. Also corneredcat.com is a great site for the ladies regarding firearms.

If you can do those moves they do in the Matrix where they dodge bullets by all means. Otherwise bad Idea , You going to open fire with a paint ball gun , the crminals will return fire with real guns.

Secondly ist against the LAW to use a paint ball gun for SD , Should you use that and it reaches the cops you will be decalred unfit for a F.A.

Sit your wife down and make her well aware that you are the man in the house and you are responsible for your familys safety , She needs to swallowe her tree hugger mentality and get with the program you are not staying in paris but in Africa.

My wife came with the same stories few years back and I quickly told her how things work in SA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    Very bad idea.

My wife was totally not into it. She got over it and now supports it. Dont irretate her with it. Just slowly get her used to it. Pretty soon she'll ask you. "are you packing"
    +1... Many years ago my GF wanted to boot me the moment she noticed I pack, a few sessions with the .22SD on tin cans on the farm & a bit of 9mm shooting she actually prefered me packing, or if she was alone at home, asked me to please leave the 9mm with her...

...if you do decide to go against logic, rather get the solid balls instead of pepper.

G'Luck

SvN

User

Buy a gun.

Promise your wife you wont use it to protect her only yourself and your kids if shes so offended.

User

Get a knife, learn how to use it. Upgrade your in-home security and separate your sleeping area(s) from the rest of the house. Spend the money you would've spent on a paintball marker on security upgrades and self-defense training like Krav Maga, MMA, etc. IMO your peppergun will just irritate armed assailants, and if faced with unarmed assailants, the above will serve you much better than a paintball gun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast