User

Default SureFire EarPro EP4 Sonic Defenders

Right, so a whole while back I was looking around at getting some ear pro other than the Peltor muffs I have, especially on the warmer days, and I settled on getting a set of SureFire EP4 Sonic Defender plugs.

Product: SureFire EarPro EP4 Sonic Defenders
    Price: Paid R195- (Can be had for R154- when bought online)

Presentation

Sold in a blister pack with cardboard backing.
    The plugs themselves are encased in a little plastic shell with a lid that you can use to store them in when they are not in use.
    Included are the instructions on using them, as well as general and guaranty information.

Description

The plugs themselves are made from a soft polymer and feels kind of flimsy and durable at the same time. The stems are quite flexible as well and bends easily to fit your ear very snug. The EP4 features three flanges on the stem, whereas the EP3 only features two. The left and right plugs are color coded, with the right plug having a red stopper, and the left being white. These plugs are available in black and clear.

Performance

After reading up on these quite a bit, and after seeing htme, I honestly thought they are too good to be true. SureFire claimed that the plugs allowed sounds at safe levels to pass through, while it will block out any harmful noises above 85 dB. They didn't lie.

Initially they feel a little bit awkward, and it does take a couple of minutes to get used to them, but once they are correctly inserted, they are extremely comfortable.

The stoppers were out of the plugs most fo the time, and even then the plugs did a great job.

SureFire claims a product life of 3 to either 6 or 60+ months (they say 6+ months on the websites, and 60+ months on the information leaflet included with the plugs), and maintenance simply means rinsing them in some soapy water and leaving them to air dry.

Conclusion

Would I recommend them? Without a doubt. I would, however suggest looking at the EP3 first, as the EP4 with it's three flanges might be a little bit long to fit properly. In my ears they fit very snug, and I honestly think the EP3 will be a little more comfortable, while still providing similar levels of performance.

**Again, I am by no means a review writer. If you want more info and I haven't covered it here, just ask**

User

Default Re: SureFire EarPro EP4 Sonic Defenders

also got a pair, as a backup for my MSA's, like a month ago.
    was really really surprised at the sound dampening! pistols next to you simply make a dull thump. voice quality is also muffled though, have to listen up and really pay attention to hear someone 5meters from you (with plugs out)

also very comfortable, can easily spend the entire day with them on.

only downside, was i expected a better little box for them. the stock one is pretty flimsy, but functional.

great review, cerop. 100% spot-on.

User

+1 on the little box. It's odd how things differ from one place to another. I've seen a lot of reviews and pics where the box is actually a nice SureFire branded carry case.

Also, 100% on the voices. Although things are very clear when you are having a chat to someone, trying to figure out what someone is saying a couple of meters away takes some paying attention.

User

The problem I have with ear plugs of any kind is that apparently sound is also transmitted via the Otic bone situated behind the ear and this could also eventually lead to hearing damage. Its better than no protection at all, I suppose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    The problem I have with ear plugs of any kind is that apparently sound is also transmitted via the Otic bone situated behind the ear and this could also eventually lead to hearing damage. Its better than no protection at all, I suppose.
    There is no proof afaik know that using good quality in-ear plugs is more detrimental to hearing protection than over the ear models.

I have spoken to audiologists who confirmed that to me.

There is far more danger in using ill fitting over the ear protectors - a lot of over the ear protectors do not seal off properly especially when using shooting glasses (as we all should do).

I use my EP4 on the range and in my everyday job. They fit well and work well.

With the centre plug out, I can talk on my cell phone and hear just fine.

User

I won a set of these Surefire EP4s at the Africa Champs last year :-)

I've only worn them once and found them a little uncomfortable.