User

Default Questions about bringing sights back from overseas and about Roni sights

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just a few quick questions that are occupying my mind at the moment and would appreciate some help from the community! many thanks!

Background: Ok, so...in the beginning... I finally got my licence for my glock 23 after waiting 2 painful years in Feb...now that I have my G23, I'm set on buying the RONI carbine for it....the guys at my gun shop were extremely helpful and definitely recommend the Trijicon RMR sights, which I have absolutely no reason not to believe them. The problem comes in to the pricing of the sights....sights were quoted at something waaay about what I was budgeting so had a bit of a paw paw face.
    I'll be visiting the USA in a couple of weeks and staying with friends in NY and Washington DC which happens to be a gun loving state.
    So a possible solution is to order the Triji RMR online which is 40% cheaper, have them deliver it to my mate's house and when i go visit them, put it in my suitcase and bring it home. I've also ordered a plastic moulded holster for my HK P30 which I'll be bringing back.

So I guess my questions are:

1. When I get searched at OR Tambo (which I will because apparently I just look like one of those dodgy dudes ) and when they pull out the sights and holster, will I get thrown into the tronk for having accessories like the holster and RMR sights in my possession because I'm in breach of a Warsaw Convention or any other law or regulation? I mean, I want to get the sights cheaper, but I don't wanna get into trouble with the authorities here doing it. Anyone know the laws and rules regarding this?

2. I've been reading the forums here and it seems the 3 sights to go for on the Roni are the 1. Trijicon RMR, 2. Eotech and 3. Aimpoint. All fantastic sights, but a tad out of my price range sadly. I remember someone said that they were going to do a few tests on a few more budget sights for the RONI somewhere. Has this happened yet? could someone please show me the link please if it's been done. Does anyone have any recommendations for sights for the RONI in addition to the ones mentioned above at a 3.5K-4k budget range? looking for value for cash I suppose....

3. There's also been rumours that the RONI has a jamming problem with the G23... any truths to this?

Thanks everybody. Stay warm and stay safe!

User

Default Re: Questions about bringing sights back from overseas and about Roni sights

What price were you quoted for the RMR here?

You need to get the correct mount for the RMR as well otherwise the RDS will sit too low on the Roni.

You can bring into SA no prob - your risk is over there - those sights are restricted items in the USA iro export afaik.

If you can not afford the RMR then look at the Bushnell TRS-25.

I have been shooting and testing a Bushnell TRS-25 on my M&P15/22 rifle and it is a very nice little sight for around R2000 excl the picatinny risers you will need to get it to the correct height. Back-up and warranty from the local Bushnell agents.
    Last edited by DS; 01-06-2011 at 22:12.

User

Default Re: Questions about bringing sights back from overseas and about Roni sights

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    You can bring into SA no prob
    Yep, it's not firearms so no problem. They may require you to pay the import duties though.

User

Thanks Gents, will keep it in mind if I do decide to order it there.

@Khumba, was quoted round about R4.4K for the triji RMR sights plus R1.2 for the mounting ...if I buy in the USA, it's +-530US$ coming to R3800.00 excl. mounting... in total I was quoted 11.2K for the RONI, the Triji sights plus a 30 round mag for .40 S&W. Seems fair...your opinion? The guys at my shop are good okes, and they did try to bring costs down, and i suppose everyone needs to make a profit I guess, but 11,2K is a bit out my price range...

User

Any 30 round 40 mag isnt factory and will likely be problematic.