Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Sports Adventure Shooting 11June 2011

Hi All,
    Just to let you know we are holding another Sports adventure Shoot on Saturday, 11 June
    Craig has got some plans for us in the morning and then we will do some F&M drills, advance an retreating. We'll start dry and hopefully work up to live. This will help improve safety and save a bit of ammo as well.

Then those who have passed level 1 before will be able to do my multigun "test" which will test a shooters ability to safely run both a long gun and handgun under pressure, with lots of transitions. You will have 2 SO's watching your every move.
    There will be other excercises as well on the day. I for one am looking forward to a great day at the range where we can do some serious training and have some good safe fun with agreat bunch of guys.
    Any one who would llike to come and observe or try out for level 1, please PM me or Camo.

Our next shoot after this one will be our inaugural competition shoot, which we have named the Delville wood Memorial shoot, in memory of those South Africans (and others) who fought and fell in defence of Freedom during the 1st World War. It will be held on 23rd July 2011.

Default Re: Sports Adventure Shooting 11June 2011

Getting my ass wipped 3rd weekend in a row.....roll on Saturday!
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Sounds awesome, looking forward to it.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

although only 3 of us were able to make it, we still had an awsome day. In fact in some ways it was better than if we had a huge group, mainly because we had time to repeat excercises more than once and were thus able to actuallly embed the experience a little more deeply. We started the day doing some basic/ intermediate pistol drills such as strike, draw, fire from retention, getting off the x, and draw shoot on the move mag change reverse direction and repeat, shooting from cover left and right. We then did a few transition drills from rifle to pistol and some shoulder swops or bi lateral rifle shooting. In order to do all the stuff we want to do at Sports Adventure Shooting, there needs to be quite a high level of competence and the ability to handle all your weapons both safely and effectively. Sports adventure shooting is both a test of shooter and his/her gear (no girls yet, but we live in hope) so we have felt it important to devise a test that will quickly show up any deficiencies in both. The test needed to test both long gun and pistol skills, under pressure with an emphasis on safe handling. The test I devised includes running, getting into various shooting positions, such as prone, kneeling, supine and also a short bit of leopard crawling in the grass. This last bit is a good way to test your gear and get the heart rate going and the lungs heaving. following the crawl you get to do a short sprint folowed by some shooting from cover and transitions to pistol and then move to another station where the process is reversed and again and again. Barricades are to be treated as people so no weapon may sweep it or any thing else it isnt supposed to. Long guns have to be saftied or bolt open (if empty) for movement. It is both challenging and quite fun and if you pass, in my view your safety regime is well imbedded in your behaviour. .

After the test we decided to practice some close range shooting, simulating a "in the home" scenario. some barricades were set up to approximate a door opening to a room and some targets were set up including a "no shoot" target. We would set up the targets in realistic fashion whilst the shooter was averting his eyes, so that the CoF was blind for him. The start point would be back to "door". We so enjoyed this excercise we repeated it several times with targets in different positions. We aslo discussed the fact that if enetering a room where you suspected serious trouble you may in fact encounter a hostage trying to flee the same way you go in, or maybe it would be a BG in the door way. Food for Thought.

We also did several other excercises and drills which added to our overall skill levels and were most instructive. All in all with the near perfect weather and the great company we had a great days training. Im so looking forward to our first full competition in July!

Bushboy...great AAR, but a hint...break it into smaller paragraphs next time. Most of us here get dizzy reading too much text at once.

Otherwise, sounds like a great day and a great learning session for all!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Fair point, thanks Ikor.

Thanks for running the show Bushboy.

Much appreciated.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Agree with Bushboy. We had a very good session. Once again, everything we did was relevant in some way and not a single minute or round of ammo was wasted.

Sean.

User

Here are a few pics of the action last Saturday. Hopefully it wets te appetite for some of you guys who are thinking of comming out and giving Sports Adventure Shooting a go.

Sean.

Sheesh, I must say that the "gravel" is much better than veld when it comes to recovering brass, but its certainly less comfortable to fall on than say, concrete. Knee pads and gloves have now gone up a few clicks on my "to buy" list. Oh and check out that beautifull blue sky! Awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast