Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Sports Adventure Shooting 11June 2011

Is the last picture a wounded shooter drill?

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Sorry meant last picture on the first page.

The one with the shooter on the ground lying on his left side? If thats the pic youre talking about: no, the drill was to fall as though knocked/ pushed over (weapon was drawn) and engage targets. In other words you werent able to put yourself in a good position as in taking cover by a curb or some such but rather more impromptu. This was my understanding of the drill at any rate.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

We did it both sides left and right

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

If you are refering to the position where the shooter is 1 hand on pistol other on chest, close to barricades: no, that is a turn and enter room with unknown targets (blind shoot)

User

Yup the shooter urban prone on his left side.

So not exactly wounder shooter but a similar concept. Man down not by choice?

Obviously going urban prone without cover by choice would not be a good idea.

Just my 2c

Exactly, not by choice. Although it could also simulate going down hard into cover under pressure. (ok we didnt contrive some cover)
    The month before we did another execise where we were dropped onto our backs....hard... simulating a situation where you were perhaps pushed hard backward and or tripped in a scuffle, from there you had to draw and engage. We did this by doing the old trust execise where you fall backwards into the arms of some buddies a few times and suddenly they dont catch you. The fall is hard and it is disoreintating to say the least and it slows down your response. (ok we cheated a little by having a thin matress to land on)

#24 The fall is hard and it is disoreintating to say the least and it slows down your response. (ok we cheated a little by having a thin matress to land on)
    Yip, the fall was hard inspite of the mattress.

I observed that everyone's head whipped/jerked backwards on impact.
    This IMO is the cause of the disorientation.

Ciappa_r suggested we tuck our chin onto our chest to overcome this.
    It works well.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    Exactly, not by choice. Although it could also simulate going down hard into cover under pressure. (ok we didnt contrive some cover)

If I might make another observation then. Don't attempt to simulate cover unless you have something to use as cover. Otherwise it turns into a game of "of course I wouldve been behind cover there. " Only train for cover with something at least simulating cover.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    If I might make another observation then. Don't attempt to simulate cover unless you have something to use as cover. Otherwise it turns into a game of "of course I wouldve been behind cover there. " Only train for cover with something at least simulating cover.
    Good advice. Its like training with airsoft without a ref. - "I shot you!", "Oh no you didn't girlfriend"(snaps fingers while doing a wierd head thing.)
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I agree, but the excercise wasnt about cover but rather falling properly without hands to break such fall and engage target effectively. I mentioned the falling into cover bit as an extrapolation. We do a quite a bit of cover shooting exercise and we dont use the idpa standard as good enough. Id like to do some more cover exercises using force on forec with airsoft or something but we dont have any among us I dont think. Ok I have a crappy little springer

User

No worries. My point was don't think of it as a cover exerciise at all unless there was actually cover available.

As an aside I think too much emphasis is placed on cover in IDPA. While important it is not immediately available as often expected in matches or training.

You will note from the pic that there was no cushion in those falls and although that shooter is wearing knee pads, most werent. I did put on a long sleve though, that gravel is abrasive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast