Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Where to hunt warthog

I have only shot warthog with my 375. Not sure I will attempt shooting them with my 243, its just I have more confidence with my 375.

User

In the end, you need to be confident with the rifle you intend to use. A laaitie confident with his 22 can be far more deadly than a guy that is sh*t scared of his 416 (Yes I know that shooting a warthog with a 22 is unethical, the last guy that tried it on our farm left without his nuts).

User

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex View Post
    Yes I have heard stories about how tough these animals can be!! But you guys have confirmed it. maybe a a .44 rifle will provide better stoping power?? I can also use a 6mm rifle at over 3000 fps should also do the trick. obviuosly use the correct ammo.
    Most 243 (6mm) will do 3000+fps. Bullet construction plays a BIG role. If the bullet is not super tough, it will break up and might fail to penetrate to the vitals. A grain of rice at the speed of light might be fine for varminting and culling, but when hunting is just too marginal. Yes, you'll hear the contrary of huge animals hunted, but think about it carefully. Why hunt with something marginal? Use enough gun. Especially on animals that tend to bite back, when wounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That is after it charged straight at me, missing me by less tha a meter (had to dodge the charge) and eventually found 250m away from where it had been shot.
    Read Adam's post again. I'll add to his. If you look at a Warthog up close, you'll see that the bottom tusks in fact rub against the upper pair which makes them razor sharp. This bottom pair of tusks will slice your leg muscles and all the arteries to the bone in a flash. That will really ruin your hunt. Use enough gun.

My lani wat is the story with the warthog in the eastern cape can we join for a hunt.

I hunt in the Eatern Cape on a yearly basis and have yet to see a warthog in that area. Where about do you hunt there Mylani?
    I hunt in the somerset east and middelburg cape area!
    MOLON LABE

User

[QUOTE=Adam;181465]There is a spot just above Lephalale (Ellisras) which I can highly recommend.

Hi Adam, not sure if I missed it... But I'm curious as to the place you mention? How do we find out more?

User

Was charged by a warthog in 2001.

The shot was maybe a bit too far back broadside but still knocked it over at 50meters and it lay dead still until I approached from behind and pulled on the tail, I didnt check to see if it was breathing by the movement of the chest etc I just wasnt 100% sure of the shot so I pulled on his tail just to double check out of habit #gun already unloaded and safe#. Then he got up in lightening speed as I back up and reload my .270Win completely unprepared for this...he ran a few meters away from me then turned around to face me and charged and grunted. I was a bit flustered as I was completely surprised as the 'tail-pulling' to check was just as a matter of course based on habit and the suspicious shot-placement, but I really thought he was down for good. At the charge I took him on the centre of the shoulder/spine on top of the back at about one meter from me at full charge...hehe...the 4x40 Tasco was full of grey warthog and I estimated that I was aiming at the top of shoulder and pulled trigger. He really meant business though...

First shot was a lung shot but just that it was right at the posterior region of the lungs but got both in and out with .270 150gr soft-nose PMP.

.243 is an absolute minimum for warthog in my opinion, I suggest nothing smaller than .270 though and with decent bullets, nothing too classy and expensive though just good bullets will do, the warthog is quite a little tank. Slow-moving soft-nose heavy bullets even better. The .44 rifle will do well in the hands of any hunter who has practiced with it enough.

User

This is getting silly now mate.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    This is getting silly now mate.
    What?

The necropost from the dark ages?
    The no use of paragraphs?

Or the fact that nobody is sleeping this time of night?

User

All three Messor.

Nothing to do with me i suppose but dankorama has done 3 posts,all with "advertising" for his ranch.
    Just getting to me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast