Our Personal Protection workshop focused on unarmed street combat. Situations dealt with included social violence (i.e. nightclub) as well as asocial violence (mugging at an ATM). These were all dealt with by gross motor skill techniques. Learning the finer details firsthand really makes a huge difference on the effectiveness and application of the technique, and as usual we did A-Z training: including Pre-conflict, Conflict as well as Post-conflict stages.

What I really enjoyed was the couple of sneaky techniques we were taught, which comes straight out of Morné’s first hand experience. What also was very cool was the technique to deal with a social attack that completely takes the wind out of the would-be attacker’s sails, without you even having to strike one punch!

Our MMA workshop focused a large deal on Combat Athletics with specific MMA application to help improve MMA performance levels and fitness in all the ranges: stand-up, kickboxing and clinch. Even though our hall is not that big, we had a very tiring workout. The MMA section focused especially on the tactics of groundfighting, and then specific techniques (basic as well as more advanced) and the finer details to escape some of the most common sticking points on the ground that students were battling with. A highlight for most of the students was to get to roll with Morné. Everyone had a good workout.

I would like to thank Morné for visiting us and for the trouble driving all the way from KZN to Jo’burg, and then late night back to Jo’burg from Potch. All just to expose us to the latest and most effective in what CombatCoaching.com has to offer.