Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Training the Basics...trigger control

Another day at the range, well over the 15,000 round mark without a single ammo issue thus far. (Speer Lawman factory 158gr .38 Special plated ammo). Today we began to put it all together. The qualification course is shot from 25 yards to 1 yard, 48rd. total. Breakdown is: 6rd at 25; 12rd. at 15; 18rd. at 7; 6rd at 3 and 6rd at 1 from the 'close-hip' position. Each string of fire is timed and the course is shot on turning targets. Target is a reduced size silhouette (reduced in size from back when we started with 18rd at 50yd long time before dirt or indoor plumbing was invented!) In revolver classes, the guns are fired double action only for the entire course...in fact, we no longer teach or allow SA revolver shooting here.

But this is about more than just decent accuracy under relatively generous time limits (remember, the majority of these kids have never fired a pistol in their lives before Tuesday) It is also about manipulation of the gun and gear, following directions, proper use of cover, safely handling the weapon under stress, draw and reholster correctly, demonstration of ability to shoot, and, of course, maintaining the gun and gear properly.

Tonight, I want to talk about manipulating the gun a bit...because, for me as a trainer, it is a hugely important topic where institutional training is concerned, and one that is also very relevant to personal training and / or competition. The bottom line is that you gotta be able to walk before you can run.

I know...some trainers hate that saying...that's tough. They can think what they want. I have been doing this job in an institutional setting for decades, and for me, it is the absolute truth. Truth that I have seen with my own eyes many, many times over. At the most basic level, 'marksmanship' is about trigger control and sight alignment. Sight 'picture' is concerned only with where on a target you place your aligned sights, so I rarely even use the phrase. Note, please, that I placed trigger control before sight alignment...that was done on purpose.

For most moderately intelligent people (cops are mostly of moderate intelligence, else we would have long ago found better paying, less dangerous, less aggravating jobs!) without vision problems, proper alignment of front and rear sights is learned very quickly...at least on a rudimentary basis...meaning after some instruction, they could tell you which set of standard open pistol sights was or was not correctly aligned in a series of pictures. Once sight alignment is learned, it is almost invariably trigger control...or lack of it...that causes the misses. When was the last time you placed the top of your front sight a meter over a target at, say, 12 meters and expected to hit the target? 'Never' is a likely answer for most here I suspect.So if your sights were aligned correctly, and superimposed properly upon the target, why did you miss?

Improper trigger control is the answer about 99 times out of a hundred given a decently reliable, accurate gun and ammo combination. Remember, the bullet will go wherever the front sight is pointing when the bullet LEAVES the barrel...not where it was pointing before you jerked the trigger. This is true no matter if you are firing a single shot or multiples.

The rear sight is really only along for the ride in order to give us more precision. Imagine a pistol with no rear sight...could you hit somewhere on a generous target with it? (at close ranges at least?) probably so with a bit of practice. Now imagine one with a really nice rear sight and no front sight...without the front blade to indicate where the muzzle is pointing, you are gonna be SOL.

The old US Army Marksmanship Manual says...'Correctly align the sights upon the target and cause the hammer (or striker today) to fall in such a manner as to not disturb the sights' and you will get hits every time...and it is correct...you will. There is really very little meaningful difference in trigger manipulation for defensive purposes between trigger / action types. The key to hitting is that you must squeeze, mash, press, pull or whatever term you prefer, the trigger WHILE you maintain proper sight alignment. You are never going to consistently hit your target(s) if you line up the sights and then try and press / squeeze the trigger quickly enough to get the shot off while they are in line. It is sorta like threading a needle. You have to keep the needle and thread aligned while you bring one to the other, or bring both together in a smooth manner. If you line 'em up and then stab the thread at the eye of the needle, it won't work.

Then we see those who want to start the trigger back, then stop it, then restart it...that leads to a jerk almost every time. Every trainer here has been frustrated by shooters who managed to hide the fact that they were doing that. Their form looked good, they understood sight alignment, their trigger control looked decent, but they missed consistently. I speak here of basic marksmanship training on paper or steel targets...real world shootings are somewhat different, but we are not yet at that level. Remember, we are still learning to walk...or at the least to walk faster...we're not running yet.

A major element in trigger control is what one of my old instructors called 'guts in the head'. Concentration. I hate the term 'surprise break' when speaking of trigger manipulation. Why is it a surprise if my gun fires when I pull the trigger? Of course, it is not. So when I know that there is going to be a small explosion in my hand and that a projectile will exit my barrel, I must learn and then demonstrate the concentration to be able to not flinch or jerk my trigger if I expect to hit. This is one reason that simulators are not the whole answer to firearms training...even today, they are not the same as live fire. They are, however, excellent tools that are often misused by operators who do not understand what they do best and what they are not able to do.

I know as an instructor that a student understands why they missed when I walk behind them, watch them fire a shot that misses and see then shake their heads or mumble to themselves, etc. before they even look at the target. They have just 'called' their shot. Once they can do this, it shows they know what to do in order to hit. From that point onward, shooting...for them...is about 97-99% mental unless physical fatigue sets in. Do 6=7 hours of serious firearms training on a range and you will be worn out when you get home. Not from the physical labour, but because of the level of mental concentration assuming you are doing it right.

There are many other things a handgunner needs to learn in order to become good at the craft...follow-thru, reloading skills, draws, movement, and more, but they are all predicated upon him / her being able to reliably hit a target with a bullet from the handgun. The way we do that is to properly align the front and rear sight upon the target and CONTROL THE TRIGGER!

That is all
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Default Re: Training the Basics...trigger control

Amen brother.

If I could bottle the solution to properly understanding how to pull (yes I use that dirty word. ) the trigger properly I would be a very rich man.

User

Wow Ikor, thanks for another excellent post in a series of invaluable lessons.

I just really want to say thank you very much for your willingness to share not only your knowledge and experience with us, but also for being able to do it in such a clear, no BS, simple yet effective manner.

You truly have a gift when it comes to teaching and it is a privilege to be exposed to that!

Great stuff ikor! Awesome post!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

Ikor, great post! Once shooters learn and implement trigger management, they are well on their way to becoming good shooters!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

Wow Dude, another great article.

Mods can you merge the last couple articles by Ikor and make it a sticky? Its gonna get lost. Please!

User

... As I said before - Write a Book my friend - Another GREAT post, Thanks for sharing!

Kind Regards,
    RobertC
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

A major element in trigger control is what one of my old instructors called 'guts in the head'. Concentration. I hate the term 'surprise break' when speaking of trigger manipulation. Why is it a surprise if my gun fires when I pull the trigger? Of course, it is not. So when I know that there is going to be a small explosion in my hand and that a projectile will exit my barrel, I must learn and then demonstrate the concentration to be able to not flinch or jerk my trigger if I expect to hit. This is one reason that simulators are not the whole answer to firearms training...even today, they are not the same as live fire. They are, however, excellent tools that are often misused by operators who do not understand what they do best and what they are not able to do
    Ikor,

I very seldom respond to posts; however, your last inspirational one deals with subjects that are very close to my heart. I feel there are ways to deal with 1) Trigger Control, 2) Sight Alignment and 3) Concentration by using simulation and live fire.

I do know that you are very familiar the FATS system and you would therefore have lots of experience with simulation.
    It seems that in Europe and America a term called “blended training” is catching on very quickly, where, as I understand it both simulation and live fire exercises are alternated in a training schedule. Instructors are using inert guns (such as the SIRT) and simulation first, so as not to make flinching or jerking a bad habit, and once fundamentals are “hardwired” with lots of “trigger time” using inert guns or gas recoil guns they then go onto similar scenarios with live fire.
    Simulated recoil guns are used as a start for the “concentration” phase where dedicated real guns are adapted to take gas-filled magazines and replacement barrels, with each pull of the trigger the slide recoils knocking the aim off target, so both recoil and follow through can be practiced. The concussion is not as great as with live fire, but lets students “walk before they run”. At this stage, both the student and the instructor know the concentration and sight alignment abilities of the student. The student must then hit the bull with live fire and generally, there is not much excuse for him not to.

Please have a look at the FLETC Journal report (Federal Law Enforcement Training Centre) in the Dealer / Industry Partners Area Forum under Laser Shot right here on Gunsite.co.za. - It seems to make little difference in sofar as “marksmanship” training is concerned wether you use an inert gun or a live fire gun.

Inert and recoil simulation handguns come in most of the popular makes and sizes so the training curve can be made slow and gradual with the gun you intend to carry, and infinitesimal in terms of cost. So you can practice, practice, practice with a responsive target which gives you lots of experience.
    There are various laser and live fire systems now available, so now students can learn the “whole shooting match” from simulated marksmanship to live fire. The drills and scenes becoming more difficult and dangerous as the student learns to “think” as a scenario unfolds, whether or not to shoot, hide, or run.

Your penultimate line in the paragraph under discussion that simulators are an excellent tool makes my heart sing, but then you add that operators often misuse them and because they do not understand what they (simulators) do best is a sad truth. The good news is that quite a few have picked up the cudgels and quite a lot of remedial teaching is going on. i.e. “Flinching” and all the other nasties that creep in while training. The Australian Army, for example, has even changed their training doctrine so that trainees first have to qualify using simulation before progressing to live fire training.

Do you have any idea how the use of these simulation systems should be further promulgated?

I would really like to have your thoughts on this.

Wow - fantastic thank you.
    At the moment I have a huge problem with this, and your notes are very helpful, thank you.

looking forward to reading more from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Smith View Post
    Wow - fantastic thank you.
    At the moment I have a huge problem with this, and your notes are very helpful, thank you.

looking forward to reading more from you.
    Glad this was useful to you. Go here next...

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...Follow-through
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast