Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Internal Workings of the Central Firearms Registry

Can anyone shed some light on the internal workings of the Central Firearms Registry? I phone once a week to check up on the progress of my license and after going through my ID number I am told the same thing, which is "it is under consideration and phone back in a months time".

I can only assume that the people in the call centre type in your ID number and get a report on their screen which says "Under Consideration".

Are there several steps involved in "Under Consideration", so next time I phone I can asked pointed questions as to which stage of "Under Consideration" or is "Under Consideration" the term used to basically tell you that it is some where in the system between receiving the application and granting the license and we dont quite know what is happening.

I would (foolishly) like to believe that there are several stages that "Under Consideration" entails and that after each stage your application is updated and the information is captured on the system and progressed and you are able to access that information through the call centre

Banned

Default Re: Internal Workings of the Central Firearms Registry

Perhaps this will shed some light;
    http://www.sairr.org.za/sairr-today-...21st-june-2011

Thanks, read the article and obviously "Under Consideration" means that they have received it and nothing more!!

User

First thing to understand and accept is that there is zero consistency when it comes to the whole process, let alone the CFR. there are no defined time-lines, i.e. first-in, first-out, and how long your application takes has more to do with luck than anything else.

Secondly, words like "Obviously", "Common sense", "Logically", etc. does not feature. To understand how the CFR operate and why they do what they do, you need to take all common sense, logic, and rational thinking out of the picture, and operate on the resulting assumption.

For the sake of explaining the steps in a "logical" manner:

DFO > Provincial > CFR (Receiving) > CFR (CRC) > CFR (Prep for Consideration) > CFR (Consideration) > Approved/Denied. Check, there is a lovely little doodle ArnoG26 did on the process flow of what happens to your application when you submit it.

Now, as for the way these guys operate, you need to speak to at least 3 different people to try and get feedback on a matter. I myself usually phone at least 3 times per follow up session and then draw my own conclusions based on the feedback. With my one application featured at three different stages of the process...based on the what "The System" said...on the same day.

I handed my application for competency and Section 15 in around the same time as another member here on the forum, and I received all my stuff long before them. There is no consistency.

When following up with the guys at the call centre, don't believe them when they say that your application will only be looked at 3 months from now, or that there are so many applications in the queue, or that the printer is backlogged, or any hog wash like that. My card was printed one month after my licence was approved. I know people who are still waiting for their cards who had their licences approved long before me. My point is just, the guys in the call centre doesn't know exactly how many people are before you, or where you are in the process.

I'm tired of typing this now... All this talk of the CFR and call centres and what not is exhausting. I'll complete a part 2 to your post in a bit...

User

What Cerop has said. My .308 application was received at CFR in a record time. Then it just stayed there for nearly 8 months. No asking whinging whining could move it forward. Got gatvol and got hold of a W/O to ask who do I send a fax to to ask about the delay. He could only give me a number to fax to and couldn't tell me who to address it to. Sent the fax. Phone to follow up a week later. Application approved. Then heard from somebody else that they often don't capture on the system that your application has moved to the next stage. Don't let that placate you though. Follow up and bitch and moan and send faxes. The only way to get service out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    Secondly, words like "Obviously", "Common sense", "Logically", etc. does not feature. To understand how the CFR operate and why they do what they do, you need to take all common sense, logic, and rational thinking out of the picture, and operate on the resulting assumption.
    There goes the keyboard

User

Cerop, thanks for the explanation. Mines just got the provisional step after 5 months and I've been wondering where to from here. Its clearer now :)

I went digging for the flowchart - very handy.

Just got off the phone to the Central Firearms Registry for my weekly call. The lady I spoke to said that they are now working 24 hours a day in order to work through the backlogs and to get licenses processed quicker. For the first time I was not told to phone back in a month, but to try in 2 weeks. I can only hope that this is true and there is a concerted effort being made, but not holding my breath!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by neilw View Post
    they are now working 24 hours a day
    What she didn't mention is that the 'stasie-blompotte' work the nightshift and that the regular staff have to dig all the torn scraps of applications out of the wastepaper baskets every morning and try to recreate the missing apps...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

What I can understand is why they can't create a website when applicant's can query their status. Can't take more than a week to setup and the number of call to the call center will drop substantially. Hell I'll even create the website for them for free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast