Default Latest 007 novel

I recently read the latest 007, Carte Blanche, novel by Jeffry Deaver. It seems as if he has been given the rights to write the classic spy novel series by the estate of Ian Flemming or whoever owned the rights. It starts out in the balkans, moves to the uk and dubai and then basically for the rest of the novel it takes place in Cape Town. To me it was a reasonably good read, easy reading really and had the required amount of action and intruige. Bond has progressed from the Walther PPK to the PPS in 40s&W no less, which he carries in a leather pancake holster by DM Bullard. An odd choice in the modern world, with amount of trouble he gets into considering the capacity issue. He also wisely carries several spare mags. He drives a bently and not an aston like in the movies ( I believe the original books had him in a bently), and it has no mods by Q branch. He does have a very cool cell phone which has plenty cool apps and a small asthma pump modded with a secret camera. I suppose the funniest thing is that Q brach organises him a licence and import permit for his Walther for carry in SA, in just a few hours

Any one got the number for Q branch?

One mistake I found, considering the level of research done by Deaver on other aspects was a claimed velocity for the bullet out of his walther was around 2000 fps in one place () and then later, with silencer attached, bond tells his adversary that the ammo he has loaded is sub sonic and wont make too much noise if he decides to pop the guy.

Ps he also wears 511 kit when doing tactical stuff and drinks quite a bit of Crown royale whiskey, with only the occasional martini.

Default Re: Latest 007 novel

Sounds like a decent read.
    If you like fiction like that try get hold of books by Barry Eisler and his character John Rain. Rain is an assassin who kills normally bad guys only ;)
    Eisler has a black belt in judo and trains in BJJ so all the fight scenes are realistic. The research is excellent - Eisler has consulted with with guys like Ayoob, war vets, knife experts, Matt Fury etc so Rains weapons and methods are realistic.