Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Your CCW

Default Re: Your CCW

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-leaves-5-dead

I would at want at least my G17 + lots of happy sticks.

Ideal would be a Semi or a Shottie with lots of ammo.

The only acceptable reason to carry one is because you are waiting for your liscence for your hicap wonder 9/40/45.

Mouse guns are not relevant to our situation i.e. Multiple attackers with a kill or be killed mindset
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

I won’t compromise on personal protection. Buy a top tiergun and practise with it regularly. Minimum calibre is 9mm P. If someonebelieves 7.65 and 9mm short is sufficient then it is their problem. A Glock 26to me is an awesome little gun and the smallest I will go for personalprotection.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Excellent points raised.

I first started CCW'ng a 7.65 which was given to me a lifetime ago. I got a real gun shortly thereafter and ditched the mousegun. There was never a single day since where I wish I could go back to it just because it fits better in a pocket. Anything less than 9x19 in a durable platform in this environment and you're fooling yourself. Mindset is the most important but so is the gear capable of keeping up with it.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Well I'm proud to say that I have been armed 24/7 for close on 31 years. In that time I have never ever not had a gun on me regardless of what activity I was partaking in, even water sports and motor sport. Not ever. Sometimes a smaller gun comes in handy to achieve that.

Now Joe Public, who is less dedicated and enthusiastic, is seldom likely to want a larger gun or persevere with a larger gun. It's the Landcruiser vs Tazz analogy. Not everybody needs or will persevere with a Landcruiser on a daily basis. And they don't need to.
    So as the clued up gun dude in your social circle wouldn't it perhaps be better to educate and guide people about a gun that would suit them better even if its less capable on the smash-through-bone scale. And teach them about its limitations and how they could adapt to defend themselves as best they can with what they've got. Surely self defence training is about more than just having a bigger gun that can make a bigger hole. Firepower isn't the be all and end all. It's a nice-to-have.
    The ra ra you're a A-hole if you have anything less than 9mm doesn't help the bigger picture. I'd say it probably chases away a lot of potential new gun owners and makes them think we're windgat rambo's, which a large proportion of the fraternity probably are- fantasising about how they are going to take on hordes of bad guys.

I carry a 9mm plus two extra magazines are usually in my vicinity as well, that's my current choice, but that doesn't mean the next guy or girl wants to or even needs to. The average person doesn't need to be permanently equipped to take on ten bank robbers- they only need to neutralise an initial danger so they can make their escape. And most often one doesn't even need to use the gun- its presence just gives the person the confidence to handle their situation.

Have an open mind and give balanced advice and we'll have more new confident gun owners who may possibly even upgrade later to something bigger.

my 2cents. worth more than 2cents actually

User

So what you're saying is give people bad advise because that's what they want to hear?Sound illogical to me. Funnily enough lots of us are always armed short of being on commercial airlines with service pistols.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

as for the fighting off the hordes comments. Bad guys normally hunt in packs. And as hard as you might wish they don't always run off at the first sign of resistance. So as much as some like to belittle preparing for reality you can't wish it away.

Effectiveness is effectiveness, regardless of how you'd like to dress it up for non-gun people. Why would someone think you're rambo if you explained the difference in effectiveness between 7.65 and 9x19? My GF has zero issue handling a G26 or should I talk her into a 6.35 because 9x19 is too much of a caliber for her? Give people a little more credit.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Pretorius View Post
    Well I'm proud to say that I have been armed 24/7 for close on 31 years. In that time I have never ever not had a gun on me regardless of what activity I was partaking in, even water sports and motor sport. Not ever. Sometimes a smaller gun comes in handy to achieve that.

Now Joe Public, who is less dedicated and enthusiastic, is seldom likely to want a larger gun or persevere with a larger gun. It's the Landcruiser vs Tazz analogy. Not everybody needs or will persevere with a Landcruiser on a daily basis. And they don't need to.
    So as the clued up gun dude in your social circle wouldn't it perhaps be better to educate and guide people about a gun that would suit them better even if its less capable on the smash-through-bone scale. And teach them about its limitations and how they could adapt to defend themselves as best they can with what they've got. Surely self defence training is about more than just having a bigger gun that can make a bigger hole. Firepower isn't the be all and end all. It's a nice-to-have.
    The ra ra you're a A-hole if you have anything less than 9mm doesn't help the bigger picture. I'd say it probably chases away a lot of potential new gun owners and makes them think we're windgat rambo's, which a large proportion of the fraternity probably are- fantasising about how they are going to take on hordes of bad guys.

I carry a 9mm plus two extra magazines are usually in my vicinity as well, that's my current choice, but that doesn't mean the next guy or girl wants to or even needs to. The average person doesn't need to be permanently equipped to take on ten bank robbers- they only need to neutralise an initial danger so they can make their escape. And most often one doesn't even need to use the gun- its presence just gives the person the confidence to handle their situation.

Have an open mind and give balanced advice and we'll have more new confident gun owners who may possibly even upgrade later to something bigger.

my 2cents. worth more than 2cents actually
    Spike, this is not about taking on 10 bank robbers. This is about taking on the 4 Bad guys outside your residential premises.

No one fantasises about a gunfight. there is a difference between wanting it and knowing that it is a very real possibilty.

If i see bank robbers, cash in transit robbers, etc, Im running in the opposite direction. My gun is to insure my wife and child have a provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Pretorius View Post
    ...The average person doesn't need to be permanently equipped to take on ten bank robbers- they only need to neutralise an initial danger so they can make their escape. And most often one doesn't even need to use the gun- its presence just gives the person the confidence to handle their situation.
    So you never leave your fort knox home...ever? You have never been to the bank...ever? average people NEVER get attacked by armed assailants coming out in numbers? Come on...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I dont understand why the recommendation for a smaller caliber will be made when you can get a 9mmP in a marginally bigger gun - marginally.

I, over the weekend convinced a family member to finally get a handgun and after going through all the pros and cons of the 3 calibers and handguns I had to use as samples, my boet, who has never carried, and would "never carry", settled on a GLOCK 19/23, that he would carry daily. he never even considered the smaller mouse gun as an option.

User

Hold on there. I'm gonna agree with Spike on most of what he said, and some others just to stay on the fence. I lug around a 45 these days coz I can and coz I want to and no, I don't usually carry a spare mag on me. At least not all the time.

However, in times of need, or just pure desparation, I have carried my PPK in 9short for a limited time of carrying something instead of nothing and carrying nothing is NOT an option. It's stuffed with hydra-shoks and those Federal 380BP's and now some Sabres even. Those times warrent a spare mag shoved in my pocket. Those times too, are when I needed to squeeze into a suit for a funeral and a couple of weddings and perhaps more of those times will follow. My 45 won't fit with that suit(because it's too bloody tight. Not because my shoes were black and the 45's grips are brown) and I don't feel the need to get another(suit nor smaller 45). SO, the PPK goes with and before you ask, I'm quite happy to do so even if it's not my first option.

I've lived thru the 80's & 90" with hi-cap 9mmP + spare mags and even a back-up at times. Even tested ammo then, like I read about the testing now, the first hydra-shoks, silvertips, remington +p's, thv's, glasers, and every other ammunition or bullet as were were launched(excuse the pun), into yellow pages, white pages, water bottles, mud and paper targets to prove that that round works better than any other, and before that ammo made it to the top of my magazines. Now it's a 45, 1 up and with the hammer down(like I wasn't gonna add that to stir up my cocked-and-locked carrying brethren a bit, just for giggles - read it and weep - for me).

I also would rather have every single member of the gun concious, law abiding & shooting range practising citizenry carrying any bloody gun as opposed to not even owning one at all. I wouldn't recommend a puny calibre to anyone but I'd recommend A calibre instead of NO calibre. And BTW, your wonder-9mills or even 45's aint so great a death ray as you might think, but we swear by them and hopefully they and their priceless bullets work perfectly when we need them to perform at their best - like Ayoob said they probably would.

I'll never make it into the King James version of the CCW book of wisdom, but if I ever get legions of armed and PCP's up to the eyeballs chappies heading my way intent of scalping me and I run out of gun or ammo - it's gonna be my problem.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast