Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amount of Smokeless propellant that can be stored?

Hi

I have found Chas' site (www.molonlabe.co.za) a really good source of info, but despite spending most of my evening and some of this morning looking, I cannot find the part in the Explosives Act (15 of 2003) nor the relavent regulations that specifies the amount of smokeless propellant one is allowed to store.

I asked a learned friend who found that in the DRAFT Explosives Regs of 2007 (Notice 433 of 2007) it states that the maximum amount of smokeless powder one can keep is 2.5kgs. But he cannot trace whether these have been passed.

Anybody able to help me with this, please.

Thanks, in antis-seee-pay-shin!

Sweet

User

Default Re: Amount of Smokeless propellant that can be stored?

2.5KG is what the gunshop told me.

User

Eish , thats only 3 tins.

User

5 tins. It is low compared to other countries (that I found on google a while back).

User

500g of propellant per tin makes that 5 tins.
    I've heard that the max limit is actually 2.4kg
    What do the collectors do if they have lots of weapons requiring the use of S321, S341, S335, S355, S365, S361 and S385 and maybe even B12,7 ??
    With the variety in burn rates between different lots of propellants in the same category its a PIA to work up loads every time you buy a new tin of propellant and its of a different lot.
    I would love to see the law changed to allow those with the proper motivation to have more than this restrictive amount in their possession for legal use.

User

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    What do the collectors do if they have lots of weapons requiring the use of S321, S341, S335, S355, S365, S361 and S385 and maybe even B12,7 ??
    I read someones comment on these forums a while back that said it was per licensed weapon. Not sure of the accuracy of that.

Thanks Guys

Anybody with a reference to the legislation?

Sweet

The Firearms Control Act appears to be silent on the issue (it appears to only regulate the number of primers under section 93 – unless you are a dedicated hunter or a dedicated sports shooter you are limited to 2400). So we need to turn elsewhere to find out whether the matter is regulated and if so, how.

In terms of section 2 (2) (c) the Explosives Act 15 of 2003 does not apply to "loading or reloading of ammunition as contemplated in section 93 of the Firearms Control Act, 2000 (
    Act 60 of 2000)". So that is the end of that Act in the context of this particular enquiry.

But the old Explosives Act 26 of 1956 appears not yet to have been repealed and it will be
    "repealed by section 34 (1) of the Explosives Act 15 of 2003, a provision which will come into operation on a date to be fixed by the President by proclamation in the Gazette".

In terms of the regulations under the old Explosives Act 26 of 1956:

"persons who are in possession of one or more valid firearm licences issued in terms of the Arms and Ammunition Acts 1969 (Act 75 of 1969), [my emphasis] may in respect of each such licence keep on their premises 600 grams of nitrocellulose propellants for the private reloading of cartridges of small arms only and not for sale or other trade: Provided that the total amount of nitrocellulose propellants so kept shall not at any time exceed 2 400 grams in mass."

and

"The nitrocellulose propellants shall be kept locked up in a sturdy cupboard."

In other words, it appears to be that you may keep 600 g in respect of each licence you hold under the old Arms and Ammunition Act, subject to a maximum of 2400g.

The old Explosives Act 26 of 1956 goes on to say in the regulations that:

"Any explosives, for the storage of which provision is not made in the preceding regulations of this Chapter, shall be stored only in such place and manner as may be prescribed, in writing, by an inspector."

And good luck to you in trying to get an inspector to come and tell you where and how much you may store!

As usual, the legislation is a dog's breakfast.

Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 07-07-2011 at 12:44.

User

What I now remember is that the gunshop won't sell me more than a tin per license per day.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

ETA: Thanks WZ for the acts and all.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    The Firearms Control Act appears to be silent on the issue
    Thanks, boet, as you say... as clear as muddy water.

So... if, hypothetically, you were to have your front door kicked in by someone wearing jackboots, and that person or persons wanted to try it on iro the quantity of Nitrocellulose you had on the property; would I be wrong in thinking that a fair defence could be launched on the basis of the fact that the 'new' explosives act refers to the FCA, and the FCA refers to nothing at all, and that one could perhaps (mistakenly albeit) have presumed that the old explosives act was replaced by the new explosives act?

Or do you think this could (pardon the pun) blow up in that hypothetical person's face?

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    What I now remember is that the gunshop won't sell me more than a tin per license per day.
    The only thing worse than SAPS members inventing law is when private citizens try to do the same.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast